Fly Fusion Forums

nymph legs

pokerfish

I have always tied pts and hare's ears with legs, yet I do notice that a number of the patterns on the web do not.  I am interested in the comments as to effectiveness and usage of the forum.

Note that I tried to think of a bit of double entendre arising from the subject, but nothing came together.

I'm still trying to answer this question myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think the answer is both work, depending on the size and type of bug you're trying to represent.  For example, I don't think it is as important to have legs on a small mayfly like a BWO, but if you're trying to imitate a drake nymph legs (or a lack there of) may make a difference.  I also think smaller patterns tend to move more naturally with the current than larger patterns do, so some larger nymphs will have legs that give the illusion of movement and life rather than trying to imitate the features of a bug.  Years ago I was fishing stonefly nymphs and I had two versions of the same pattern in the same size and color - one version with rubber legs and one without.  The rubber legged version did well, the non-rubber legged version (which was arguably a better representation of the natural) didn't get a sniff.   

• 1 month later...

Size 16 Pheasant Tail with small tan zebra legs and an epoxy head has been by far the most effective dropper I’ve used. Have tried both with and without the legs and definitely in my experience the legs add to my hookups significantly. I have a deep hatred of tying them, but in the end seems more than worth it.