Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Outbound, Anyone?

alhuger

I assume you are going to use it with a 6/7 Spey rod....The Outbound is not exactly a spey line taper, but more of a WF taper, with a really heavy front end to turn over big weight (likely very splashy on the landings). Thus, they are popular as a two hand overhead line. I have heard that if you add a tip, it does kind of turn it into more of a Spey taper and will spey cast ok, but I have not casted one. I have looked at this taper and really don't have much fishing water where I would need it. I use my Delta's and Scandi lines for two hand overhead and they work very well.

Not exactly a spey line taper, but more of a WF taper, with a really heavy front end to turn over big weight (likely very splashy on the landings). Thus, they are popular as a two hand overhead line. I have heard that if you add a tip, it does kind of turn it into more of a Spey taper and will spey cast ok, but I have not casted one. I have looked at this taper and really don't have much fishing water where I would need it. I use my Delta's and Scandi lines for two hand overhead and they work very well.

I've read much the same, thanks Greg. Frankly, I could get away with just using my Delta Multi I guess but I bought a new reel and I now I have a bug to put something on it. Most of my fishing is still water so distance can be pretty attractive to me. The big splash is something worth noting though, that would not be all that cool. I need to stop going to the fly shop in the off season, it's killing me.

I toss a 10wt Outbound on my 10'6 7/8 switch when overhead casting off the beach. 420grains turns this rod into a cannon and 100ft+ casts are easy with a single back cast, as far as a spey line its a bit of a dud. I will be using this combination for pike fishing, should toss those big streamers way out there.

Colin

For lake fishing, I would look at the CND Gravity Point Spey lines. Nice long front tapers/tips.

Also, a Double Taper line might be a good choice for lakes.

http://cndspeyusa.com/Pages/gpslines.html

That's an interesting suggestion, do you think they overhand as well? Depending on where I am forced to stand on the boat a D loop might not be an option for me where an overhand will. You know anywhere in Calgary which carries CND lines?

-al

I toss a 10wt Outbound on my 10'6 7/8 switch when overhead casting off the beach. 420grains turns this rod into a cannon and 100ft+ casts are easy with a single back cast, as far as a spey line its a bit of a dud. I will be using this combination for pike fishing, should toss those big streamers way out there.

Colin

That sounds pretty good, how is the splash factor, noisy?

-al