Fly Fusion Forums

Enmax Easymax

My wife and I signed up for this when we bought our house earlier this year. We locked in the electricity and let the gas float. Also includes water bill. It is really nice not worrying about extra bills and you can sign up to have have it directly withdrawn. In my opinion rates will only go up and their "locked in" rate is low anyways and they claim you can get out of it unlike their competition.

Since Enmax started this proposal about 3ish years ago, shows trends aren't saving you any money, but it is a comfort issue. I think, if you are the type of person to lock your mortgage in for 5 years, this follows the same pattern. It allows Enmax to secure revenues.

Ever wonder why electricity is billed in kW/h and gas is GJ? Marketing if you ask me.

Personally, I prefer to burn the dirtiest thermal grade coal I can find. I may only where a size 8.5 shoe, but my carbon footprint is huge.

I think if you want the one bill convenience it is a good idea. A couple of months ago the minister of energy and whatever, was quoted as saying he hadn't seen a plan that saved anyone anything as of that time. I don't get a choice because they do not offer it to people outside of large centres it seems.

Anyone sign up for this program? I want just one bill for electricity and gas and to me this makes sense.

Should i lock in 5 years at 8cents a kw/h? Gas i will always leave floating. But what are your thoughts?

I had tracked our usage of all utilities for over a year before I signed up last spring. I signed up at 7cents and do not regret it. I used previous usage number and compared both enmax and direct energy on these contracts and was going to save dramatically with enmax in comparison with our families usage. I did not compare to what I had paid as I did not keep all my bills just usage. So it may have been better to stay with they two seperate but I do not know. From what I could find at the time 7 cents was super cheap comparing to anything I could find in Canada and the USA but their is not a lot of numbers I could find. I heat my garage with electric to keep eveything from freezing and so that I can do some woodworking when I want to. I don't feel it as bad at the 7cents and I think electric will go up as companies try to pay for the needed expansion as we use more electricity in this province. Just MHO.

Hope this help,

Guy

Guest lookinforwalter

Saun Jaun,

I am a utility consultant and have been for about 6 years. I represent all of the major utility companies in Alberta and I will give you my personal opinion. Easymax is your best option in terms of price. The 8 cents for electricity is the best price you will find and you definatly dont want to fix your gas price now as natural gas should stay pretty soft for two more years. Be a little wary of there back end in terms of billing. They some times fall behind on there gas reading and can surprise you with a large bil once in a while. Direct Energy also has whats called the "Open Flex Dual Fuel" program which allows you to get on bill and keeps you on the market rate. The good thing about both of these is your aloowed to cancel with out any penalty. Should prices ever come off you might actually get the chance to lock in lower.

Fell free to ask any questions and all i ask in return is teach me how to catch something bigger than 10" :D