Fly Fusion Forums

Help Choosing A Reel

Guest bigbadbrent

Ross CLA #1.5

Bout 250 bucks. 100 bucks more is the Ross Evolution, which is noticeably lighter.

If you weren't looking to not break the bank, i'd definitly have to say the Bauer MXP.

See if you can find a Bauer Mackenzie Superlight, or Junior Mac..I think Hanson's has some (dunno their price, as their sites are in american (odd))

See if you can find a Bauer Mackenzie Superlight, or Junior Mac..I think Hanson's has some (dunno their price, as their sites are in american (odd))

Hanson's price on the Bauers is roughly the same as the US price. I just picked up a spare spool for my M2SL from him a couple weeks ago for $145 - same as what's listed on the Bauer website. It is a nice reel, but if I got a do-over I'd go with a Nautilus instead. Have one on my 8wt and love it.

Orvis Battenkill LA.....I only used mine a couple 3 times last year but I liked it. $229 USD from the company.

picked up one of these up...only complaint is there isn't a lot of room for backing...though with a 4wt if your using it on small streams you wont need much if any backing...think i got only 2 trips to try it before my 6wt snapped in half though...

picked up one of these up...only complaint is there isn't a lot of room for backing...though with a 4wt if your using it on small streams you wont need much if any backing...think i got only 2 trips to try it before my 6wt snapped in half though...

Thanks Din. I just checked their website and they have the battenkill large arbor on for $99. Killer deal from what I can tell. Looks like it will be about $130 with taxes, shipping, and duty.

Thanks Din. I just checked their website and they have the battenkill large arbor on for $99. Killer deal from what I can tell. Looks like it will be about $130 with taxes, shipping, and duty.

Ya, I bought mine off their website as well when it went on sale. If I could find my receipt I'd let you know how much it was. but the 130 sounds pretty close.

Just to give you an idea....I put gelspun backing (100yards) and SA expert distance line on it. cut about 10ft of the actual line to get it to fit in the reel. i still have to be careful when reeling in as to not get any bulk anywhere or else it gets stuck.

I love my Lamson, I would buy one again in a heartbeat. I think I need to send it back to them for a little maintenance though, I think one time I got some sand in it somewhere so tok the spool off and dunked it in water. Well the sand got out, but now my drag is sticky on startup. It wasnt a smart move on my behalf, but I learned my lesson