Fly Fusion Forums

My First Fly

calkid75

Real nice job. The body's a little short because you've used a 1X hook instead of a 2X, but some people like that because you get a small body and a nice wide gap. The pheasant tail is generally tied in so that the tips of the feather barbules are at the end of the fly. Looks like you may have cut them off. Remember that a natural mayfly nymph has a very sparse and slender tail, which is represented well if you use the tips.

Excellent job though - good proportions and it looks like a very neatly tied fly. The thorax is perfect. It would undoubtedly catch fish anywhere.

... but I will try to fix that on the next one.

Thats the beauty (and the addiction) of fly tying. The next one will have better proportions. The one after that will use silver rib instead of gold. Maybe you will use biots for the tail in the next fly. Maybe make a prince hare's ear the one after.

And when you catch fish on your modified creations, it will make the experience that much more enjoyable.

Good fly. It *will* catch fish if you give it a good chance.

ps. Try a smaller bead and a darker, spikier dub for the thorax.

That'll get ya trout...practice practice practice..good job

hey did you ever find a 2 man toon?

I did get a 2 man pontoon. It was late in the year so I didn't really get it out. It should give my time to get it all setup. I ended up getting a Outcast Fishcat 13.0 but branded under sportman wharehouse in Montana. Only diff I can see is the pontoons are green and it has their logo on it. I was looking at the creek company boat boat looking at them side by side in the store made the decision easy as the creek company boat looked a little like a toy next to the Outcast. I look forward to getting out both on the rivers and a couple lakes with it next year.

I did get a 2 man pontoon. It was late in the year so I didn't really get it out. It should give my time to get it all setup. I ended up getting a Outcast Fishcat 13.0 but branded under sportman wharehouse in Montana. Only diff I can see is the pontoons are green and it has their logo on it. I was looking at the creek company boat boat looking at them side by side in the store made the decision easy as the creek company boat looked a little like a toy next to the Outcast. I look forward to getting out both on the rivers and a couple lakes with it next year.

you won't be dissapointed with it..green is nicer than that gay blue as well...