Fly Fusion Forums

Tis The Season..

Its a good time to dig around in that equipment to be sure its ready for the spring season. I know we live in a throw away society but I don’t subscribe to that. Here are some points.

• Check your wading boots, a good coat of Sno-Seal or NikWax or Mink Oil will help keep stitches from coming apart and leather parts from shrinking or cracking. Those boots aren’t cheap and a bit of care will extend their life
  • Waders sound, do they need washing or repair/patching
  • Flies – good time to remove all from your box, sort them out and wash or steam if needed and reorganize. Do you need a few new ones to replace those you sacrificed to the fish gods?
  • Fly boxes, a good cleaning with a soapy sponge does wonders with a good rinse
  • Check you leaders, are they sun damaged? Once when guiding I had a client pull in a trophy Rainbow, it broke the leader, I took the leader in my hands and it literally fell apart in my hands.
  • Zingers, do you need a new one, is your old one frayed enough to loose a tool
  • Is your knife sharp?
  • Fly line, a good cleaning and application of a fly line dressing will make it zip through the guides and lengthen its life.
  • Nippers still sharp or do you need new ones, be sure you have a nice hook hone
  • Fly reel – a good time to crack it open and clean the gears plus apply a good grease.
  • That fly rod could also use a bit of care, a good going over with a soapy sponge, then a coat of wax will make it shine again and protect it from UV. Check it for any damage. That cork grip can be leaned easily with soap water and a cotten cloth is really hady for your hands.
  • How about that vest/pack/sling, a bit of cleaning, and empty her out (to be sure you didn’t leave last falls baloney sandwich inside)? It’s a nice time to include a first aid kit in there… just in case. Sunblock, mosquito dope and a clean cotton cloth is nice to include.
  • Clean those sunglasses with some vinegar water and a few drops of dish wash liquid.
  • With nets sometimes the wooden ones could use a bit of varnish where the rocks wear off the finish.
  • Does your equipment need waterproofing? Like a hat, vest or jacket, also a good time to air everything out
  • Pop the batteries out of those flashlights, GPS’s and SPOT units. Don’t want them to leak over the winter and ruin devices.
  • Wash out those water bottles to have fresh tasting water next season

Lastley did you remember to send your secret fishing spots to dear Ol’ Doc, huh, huh didja?.

• Like 5