Fly Fusion Forums

Lightweight Rain Jacket

I have had 2 good tests of my experiment.

Rain jackets are usually bulky or heavy, or very expensive, or all three. I picked out my lightest wind breaker and carried that for a while, but it soaked through in short order.

One can of Scotchguard. I used the whole can, about 4 coats with a full drying time between.

Very successful result. We went through a torrential downpour with hail included and it was very effective. A second drenching seems to show that the treatment has some longevity.

It folds up to a very small package, light and effective. Cost was $15 bucks.

Very apropos this year :blush:.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I've had a Columbia for years. Cheap and light - the jacket was part of a rain suit (trousers and coat). It gets pretty hot - if I hike at all it gets very uncomfortable. This year for Father's Day I got one of those nice Simms G3 jackets. It was very expensive with the $CAD in the dumps. However, other than a short moderate rain (when it worked very well) I haven't really tested it too hard. I'll be checking out in the UK this winter...

Have a Columbia rain shell also, very light and folds down to a very small bundle that takes no space in the back of my vest. Very waterproof and also a nice wind shell. Only time I forgot it I got soaked. Use a wading jacket if the weather looks nastier. Very cosy if it's cooler and drizzly. Not somthign that sores as easily but I still have stowed it in the back of my vest with no problems.