Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Area

Hey guys - I'm going to be in the Crowsnest and Fernie areas in a couple weeks. I've never fished the Crowsnest before, so I'm turning to you guys for some general info on the area. I've fished the Elk/Michel a number of times, so I think I've got the BC side kind of figured out. Not looking for hotspots, but would appreciate any info on jumping off points, recommended general patterns etc. I assume I'll have to work harder/smarter for the 'bows than the cutts on the other side of the divide. Time will be kind of limited so some short walk and wade areas would be ideal. I'll stop in and check with the guys at the Crowsnest Angler and maybe the Fernie shops but any info would be appreciated. Feel free to pm if you don't want the lurkers to benefit.

thx

Bruce

The Buck for Wildlife area just off of the Castle highway is a pretty popular area and has some good spots to try. Vic at the Crowsnest Angler can give you more specific instructions. As for flies when I fished the Crow a week ago they were taking small nymphs and the good old parachute adams.

If the hoppers get going the Boulder Gardens can be fun. Head upstream from there. Might need to find a friendly farmer or ignore a trespassing sign to get there though.

Lots of lovely water on the Crowsnest so let Google Earth be your guide.

I keep thinking pmd and green drakes should be present, but so far my timing has been off on that. The last couple of times out on the Crow for me, it has been very challenging hatch-matching. I've seen little in the way of visible topwater insects. Some guarded success with small nymphs and tiny dries, and a few weeks ago on a very low-vis day I managed a few great takes on streamers (first time I have ever really tried exclusively fished streamers on the Crow). We have continued to get some good rains in the South (Sunday was an awesome thunder storm out there!), so water clarity may vary considerably from day to day, and even hour to hour. I'd say come prepared to try lots of different things in the course of a day of fishing.