Fly Fusion Forums

Salmon/pike Setup

David

So on a recent trip to the west coast i did some Salmon fishing and think its something I'd like to pursue, thus i need to get some gear.

Since Calgary is far from the coast I'd like to get a setup that can double for Salmon and Pike.

I was thinking a 9wt single handed rod but wasn't sure what kind of action or even length is optimal.

Also any line recommendations? Can i use the same line for both species or should i get dedicated lines for each species?

Would love to hear your opinions since I know very little about fishing for each.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick reply here. IMO a 9 wt is only necessary if you are targeting Chinooks (springs) pinks and sockeye are easily handled with a 6 wt, coho and steel can be handled with a 7 wt. I have landed lots of 10-15lb chum on a 7 as well, and have seen more than one spring taken on a 7 or 8. Never having fished for pike, i have no thoughts there.

Thanks for the input prof.

In case someone searches for something similar in the future it's probably a good idea I update it.

Decided with an 8wt 9ft rod, entertained the idea of a 10ft rod but in the end wasn't convinced the extra length was necessary. Some arguments against the extra length was its more tiring and less accurate. The main arguments for a longer rod is that it manages line better.

Went with a really fast action rod, I'm generally a fan of the slower rods but decided since its more of a specialized rod whose sole purpose is to launch line I'd get a rod that does this well with the least amount of effort.

Haven't picked up a line yet but am going with a general all purpose floating line like a Rio gold. Briefly looked at the Rio versitip system but decided it's too expensive and most of the heads will probably go unused. Alternatively I'm going to go with a selection of airflo polyleaders at different sink rates and lengths.

Hopefully someone finds this useful one day.

A fast action 8wt is a great choice for pike. Most Alberta pike fall in the size category you could fight with an 6wt, but an average sized pike fly is too big to spend an entire day casting with a lighter rod. Every once in a while, you will catch a pike that will make an 8wt seem under-gunned. Salmon flies are generally small enough to easily cast with a 6wt, but I have found a 7-8wt rod to be a good choice for fighting them.

When you are fishing for pike, there is absolutely zero need for finesse. I have less experience with salmon, but my experience has been there is also less need for finesse. I know people will say, "long casts do not catch fish". In my experience, 100% of the fish I catch are in the water, so the longer my fly is in the water... With pike, a long cast to work a weedline is an advantage (pike will often follow before making a strike). With salmon, I know a long cast means a longer swing, which puts your fly in front of more fish. For this, I might go with a more aggressive taper to punch and shoot more line. This summer, I went from using Rio Perception to SA Mastery Titan on my 8wt. I wish I had made this choice a long time ago since punching big flies and covering water is an 8wt's job.

I used the Versatip system. I have used every one of the basic tips, and bought a couple extras. I have used them in 'fly fishing' only waters in BC. I have used them for pike in the different seasons (sink tips are critical in the summer, but floating and intermediate lines are fine for the spring and fall). I retired the versatip line because I stepped on it too many times, but I found the versatips work fine on most lines. So, just get a tip envelope and build up the collection over time. Or go with the Airflo leaders. Probably the same thing.

• Like 1

Outbound short is likely my pick for your 8wt line. I fish an 8wt no problem for pike in Northern Manitoba. The Outbound Short is a great line for throwing bigger pike flies, as well as moderate single hand skagit casts with lighter tips (think versi/polyleaders). You'll have no issues overhead casting salmon/steelhead flies + tips with the outbound short line as well.

• 3 weeks later...

hows is it for mending, doesn't look like there's much of a body.

Don't get overly concerned with mending. For pike, you'll never need to mend. For salmon/steelhead, a mend is pretty easily done with any rod/line so long as you stop high on your forward stroke and mend immediately. Skagit heads are shorter than 30' typically... some as short as 11 feet. How do you suppose spey casters mend their lines when they've shot 90' of tip + skagit head + running line out the rod tip, especially when mono running lines are an even smaller diameter than floating lines?

Dont mean to come off snide. Just something to think about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend the Rio Versatip system, its a bit more money but it gives you the ability to fish pretty much every type

of situation. I also have added a selection of tips from T-10 to T-17 in various lengths to round out the set. I have used the

tips for salmon, pike and bulls and it works great.