Fly Fusion Forums

High Water Streamer Tactics (From The Bank)

Hi all,

Everyone knows that "banging the banks" from a boat is a successful tactic in high water/runoff conditions.

The fish have been pushed into the bank by the volume of water coming down.

But, what do you do when you're restricted to fishing from the bank?

I've caught fish casting up the bank and twitching it back down (although it is tiring keeping tension on the streamer to make sure it has action),

as well as the usual across and down and strip up the bank.

What tactics have brought you success in these conditions that we are seeing on the bow right now?

It'd be great to hear any other strategies or variations that work for you.

cheers

I realize you are asking about streamers, but indi fishing this time (atleast in my experience) puts out way more trout (and big fish no less) - assuming that is what you are looking for.

Rig:Indi - > 5 feet 10lb maxima -> First fly (jimmy legs) -> 1 1/2 feet 2nd fly (jimmy legs) - > 1 1/12 feet 3rd fly (san juan).

Stand a few feet back from the bank; flip the rig upstream and as tight to the bank as you can keep it (outside of a foot and half and you are too far off), be ready to strip in the slack line as the rig hurtles back toward you, set the hook on any indi movement. Repeat :-)

As far as water, you want relatively stable banks with ~3-5 depth and moderate pace.

One final thought, fishing the dirty water in the banks usually means you are going to lose flies - might as well lose the cheap ones (and not those fancy $$ streamers).

Cheers

hey TroutNV

I sometimes drift bigger clousers, buggers or leaches on an indi rig giving them the occasional strip.

I haven't really tried it during runoff or high water before.

I'll give it a go

Anyone else find swing the streamer being less effective in high water?