Fly Fusion Forums

Stripping Basket/line Management

scel

What do you do for line management when fishing streamers? I seem have issues when fishing from a standing position in a boat.

In a kayak/canoe, I clear out absolutely everything from my feet. Even still I spend 15% of my fishing efforts in line management, clearing up line and untangling. It is about the same level of efficacy as a stripping apron on my pontoon, so I am willing to live with this. Standing in a boat, even if everything is clear, I still tangle around me feet. I would hazard only ever 3rd cast is tangle free. The only pseudo effective deterrent is being barefoot, so I can feel the line around my feet, but this is just a stop gap and only works in really warm weather with a clean boat. It is not very comfortable to stand for hours barefoot. Stripping the line directly into the water only works with a floating line, but there is risk of far more serious motor tangle.

When fishing the streamer slowly, it is easier to manage line, but when quickly fishing 25-40cm strips, it is hard to keep control. Stripping baskets seem like the obvious solution, but they seem kind of hard to find out here---I have looked in a couple of online-stores (I have not yet pounded the pavement to get into all the fly shops). I would not know what to look for in a stripping basket. The

seem to like the hard-plastic Go Daddy.

As much as I love getting new gear to solve (my very first-world) fishing problems. Maybe there is a simpler solution.

Never used one for fresh but always travel with one to tropical locals particularly for beach fishing.... I know they sell them but mine is a small tupperware box with slits in it for a belt and I load all my essentials in it for the trip ie reels, lines, boga, fly boxes etc.... so it really takes up minimal space and is actually fairly comfortable to wear..... empty of course.

• Like 1