Fly Fusion Forums

Anybody Play Guitar

EdB

No beef to anyone here but that shredding stuff really grates me. Lifeless tone and playing that is all about technical and physical ability rather than emotion and dynamics. I'd much rather hear one note of BB King's sweet tone and biting vibrato, or 'the note' from Machine Gun than 1000 notes played in 10 seconds by some heavy metal wanker. And if you're gonna be speedy do it like this guy, build up to it dynamically and then unleash the fury when it will have some musical value and maximum impact:

Just my 2cents :)

I'm with snakeman on this. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, and I'll never approach the technical proficiency of the shredders. But I'd much rather listen to a good blues player any day. This sentiment is shared by many in the guitar world. It is often said that David Gilmour can say more with a few notes than Yngwie Malmsteen can in an entire solo. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have the technical skills of a shredder. That level of playing is simply impressive to me and I admire anyone who reaches that level of mastery. It's just not my first choice of guitar music to listen to, or my second or third, for that matter. Incidentally, the JerryC guy mentioned at the beginning of one of the videos was the original YouTube guy for that Canon video (I think). I saw him play that a few years ago and he made quite the stir in the guitar community. He was even featured in an issue of Guitar World magazine.

Rock on!

PS Snakeman, your awareness of "the note" impresses me!!!

JV

That Guitar hero reminds me of the "Ez Chord" thing they advertised on TV. It clamped on the neck and you only had to push a button to play a chord. It was A, C, D and maybe E and a instruction booklet. hehe.

I've played guitar for 18 years and there are 2 kinds of guitar players, I find. Those who play to impress, and those who play for themselves. Not that playing to impress makes anyones skill or ability any less impressive, but rarely do flashy 'shredders' play with any true level of soul or originality.

Plus learning scales is about as fun as a trip to the dentist. I have seen quite a bit of talk about "PlainTalk" which is a Midi, Movie (PC) guitar instruction thingy. I think that would be the only way I would bare to learn super solos. Another thing you need to have in order to shred and not fall apart like I do, is a good memory. I have a couple classics in memory and stuffing another in my head takes lots of effort, and my shredding falls apart after my Brain-RAM is full.

The pentatonic scale is my favorite, and the one I fall back on when creativity fails me. I love going on Blues rants, but I've seen so many virtuosos its impossible to be too proud of my skills. For instance my best friend and I got our first guitars at the same X-mas. A few years later he was playing screaming death-metal leads that proved the hand is faster then the eye, and I was playing an acoustic writing almost folk tunes, and playing at the lake. 99% of people would assume he is much, much better then I am, but after his 30 mins his flames die down and I'm still strumming along with song after song. lol.

I've liked Slowhand ever since the days of Cream

One of my favourite bands. They played the Stampede in '68, too bad I was about 20 years unborn.

He gets a lot of flack for some of the weak stuff he released as a solo artist, but his talent as a guitar player is undeniable.

p.s. JayVee, totally agree about Gilmour/Malmsteen. Yngwie is very skilled technically but his music is cheesy as hell.

I think every rock fan worth his salt has experienced chills caused by 'the note' ;)