Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Vrs Airflo Delta

alhuger

All,

I've been looking around at different line options and I've found that in the weight ranges and head lengths that I am looking at that both Rio and Delta have competing and similar lines. I've read the specs for both and combed through Speyclave on the topic but am wondering if anyone has any insight based off using both the Rio (various) series of the equiv. Airflo series lines. I currently use the Delta line and enjoy it so I have no real compelling reason to move over but I'd like to hear some general opinions. I am not looking for specific data about how they handle on particular rods but rather I am interested in hearing general differences seen by folks here. I am looking at lines w/ about 52 feet of head (plus tip).

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

I'll never ever buy an airflo line again.....too much crap to deal with (never broke a line in 10 years of fishing, buy an airline and break 2 in a season!!)

I have many Airflow Spey lines and they cast /perform very well. The Airflow lines have a Polyurethane coating that keeps the line from cracking and degrading. The Rio lines are coated with PVC and are more suspectible to mirco fractures and a shorter casting life. The Rio Spey lines that I have casted, worked very well. The Rio WFT lines that I own also cast well and seem to have good life.

When I look at Spey lines, I am more interested in tapers, head lengths, head weight etc. to try and understand the casting/fishing characteristics of the line, so that I will know if it is the right line for the rod/fishing application I will be using it for. Balancing your Spey rod/line/tip/leader/tippet/fly system, is critical to high performance in all fishing situations.