Fly Fusion Forums

Ice

EdB

What do you all use for your eyelets icing up in winter. Do you have to buy that stuff from the store? I heard that vasoline works.

Also, what about line maitanence. How do you all clean the line/reel or do you. Should i be oiling the reel?. Heard someone say they put wd40 on there line to clean it. If i'm going to fish all winter do i even need to clean line since it won't be sitting all winter.

Google it. I think Loon Outdoors makes something to de-ice your guides with. Vaseline may work but it is petroleum based so it may not like your flyline, though I usually abstain when it gets that cold.

Okay I Googled it. Loon Outdoors makes an environmental friendly product called "Ice Paste."

http://www.heartlandflygear.com/product_in...c3e10eaf98a7f40

Q: What do you all use for your eyelets icing up in winter.

A: Stay home.

Q: I heard that vasoline works.

A: :blink::blink::unsure::unsure:

the more peaple that stay home the more river there is for me. I work outside all day so standing at the river freezing my ass off should be a piece of cake. I'd rather be doing it fishing than working. Maybe i should try the heating sensation KY instead of vasoline. :lol:

Q: I heard that vasoline works.

A: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :unsure:

: )

DBT has it figured, "Alberta style...just push the ice out of the eyelets....GENTLY!!" Also falls under the general category of "Suck it up princess."

Actually, ice is manageable down to -5 or so without being too much of a PITA.

Tahts what i been doing. Actually caught a fish yesterday while i was doing the end one. Line starts zippin out as i'm holding the middle of the rod. Goes to show ya should let er drift a little while at the end of your cast eh? hadd to uv been drifting a good 30 secs or so while i pissed around.

Guest Rocknbugs

Apparently there is something you can use but I have never used it. Just use your fingers its part of winter fishing, just dont let the ice build up to much or you will have to wrap your hand around it just to melt it abit so you can knock it off..........aaaaaah winter fishing (sigh), cany wait to get out there again.

Guest bigbadbrent

Winterfishing is ALL about keeping your hands dry, the instant your hands are wet, you need to dry them off, or you will be done fishing minutes later.

Even wiping ur hands on your jeans or whatever isnt a great way to do it, i recommend bringing a towel with you.

Your hands WILL stop functioning if they get wet and you dont dry them off quick enough. This is especially true since you shouldn't be bringing the fish out of the water, as the cold air is really harmful to them.

Personally i just break the ice off as soon as it starts forming, but if im too slow i'll have to warm it up with my fingers, which sucks.

Loon Outdoors does do an Ice Off for the guides, never tried it so i have no recommendations

I use Vaseline, and like Flyslinger said, try to keep wet line off your guides, keeping your tip high helps with this. I'll sometimes dip my tip in the water, breaks up the ice and then make a few false casts to get rid of the water.

Winter is hell on your line. I just accept that I'll need to replace it every spring.