Fly Fusion Forums

Clouser Minnow

Lundvike

Guest bigbadbrent

I think it would be a little too much for fishing, but if its for the box, i think you're set man......i like it

red-eyes were a good choice!

http://flyangler.ca/index.php?option=com_c...6&Itemid=31

FACA: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. So how do you like to tie your Clouser?

Bob: Quick! Fast.. and Sparse! (Bob starts laughing!)

FACA: Yeah, I've heard sparse before so... uhm..

Bob: You know sparse is probably a hard word to understand, (and then goes into an analogy of the weather) it's like one day it's raining light.. and then next day it's light too but it might be (raining) a little faster. Ahh.. sparse, if you can make a fly that isn't bulky and (when) you put it (a fly) in the water and you got light penetration through all the fibers and more movement then you do with one that's (tied) too heavy in silhouette.. that's sparse! Light refraction through it, showing movement, and also like with the Clouser, the speed of the fall, the drop of the fly, the more materials the slower it moves, the less the quicker it moves.

FACA: What's one of the biggest mistakes you see people doing when they're tying a Clouser?

Bob: I think, ahh.. (pauses in thought for a moment) what I can really remember of some of the flies that I see laying around in the bins for sale is that they're dressed too heavy. The eyes are too close to the eye of the hook. It doesn't affect the effectiveness of the fly per say. But what it does, it doesn't allow you to make a good solid unbreakable fly pattern. If you moved the eyes back like we were doing today (in the demo), and leave a little space between the back of the head and the eyes of the fly you can get epoxy in under there. When you epoxy that whole unit, it holds the whole fly together.

FACA: Makes it a lot more durable!

Bob: Yes, a lot more durable! Yes!

I was trying hard to remember his demonstration from the exhibition last year and it seemed it was a lot sparser (more sparse wheres SJW when you need word help) but like BBB said its going into a shadow box I don't really want to be able to see through it.

Very nice looking fly. A good basic test for sparse is to lay it on top of a newspaper. If you can read the print through the hair, you're probably good. There are some occasions where a fuller fly dressing will be advantageous, so don't get too worried about it at the start.