Fly Fusion Forums

Could Fishing Become Criminal?

Give this a read:

http://www.keepcanadafishing.com/go-fishing-go-to-jail-theres-somethings-fishy-about-bill-c-246/

I think this is being sensationalized a little bit. I would find it hard to believe that any jurisdiction, let alone Canada, would ever pass something that made fishing a criminal activity.
I'm going to have a chat with my MP and see what his perspective is on this. As the Bill is currently worded, there could be ramifications for anglers. Hopefully this thing receives some much needed amendments.

Another case of an idiotic law.With some beuargrats sensationalising it.Point in fact,the charade in the legislature regarding aeration.All the may have come of that is a huge pile of DEAD fish.By all means Pinkster bring it to there attention...

I was able to get my hands on some of the key messages being given to the Conservative MPs for this:

Talking Points – Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith’s PMB

ISSUE:

Today, Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith introduced a Bill entitled “An Act to amend the Criminal Code, the Fisheries Act, the Textile Labelling Act, the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act and the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (animal protection)” which proposes to significantly alter the way animals are treated under criminal law.

KEY MESSAGES:

· We believe in the importance of the humane treatment of animals; however, this bill goes far beyond what could be considered a reasonable strengthening of animal protection laws.

· The implications of this bill are significant to many Canadians, including farmers, ranchers, anglers, hunters.

· If passed, this bill could have significant effects on Canada’s economy and impact the way of life of millions of Canadians.

If pressed on support for service animals:

· Conservatives recognize the risks taken by police officers and their service animals daily. That is why we passed the Justice for Animals in Service Act (Quanto’s Law).

If pressed on shark finning:

· Shark finning is already illegal in Canada and has been since 1994.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

The bill appears to criminalize the following activities:

• A person waiting too long to put their animal down (in someone else’s opinion) [182.2 (1)(a)]

• Any animal being killed by a human for any reason – “brutally or viciously, regardless of whether the animal dies immediately” – appears to apply to all methods of killing an animal other than veterinarian chemical cocktails. This has implications for hunting, fishing, trapping and possibly livestock production. [182.2 (1)(B)]

• Accidental poisoning is not explicitly excluded, so failure to attend to a leak or spill of a toxic substance such as antifreeze could be a criminal act [182.2 (1)(d)]

• Training a dog to protect livestock or humans from predators. [182.2 (1)(e)]

• Accidentally killing an animal with a vehicle if the driver was negligent in some way [182.3 (1)(a) and ©]