Fly Fusion Forums

Bronze Mallard Wing Mounting

tieflyer

Need suggestions for mounting *%+@*!*"!*!}^! bronze mallard wings on a (basball bat was the 453 'learn how to' method). Prefer any method not documented in the last 143 books on how to mount bronze mallard wings...yes, and did try superglue.

I'm sure a few can chime in on this one but it is exactly like tying on a slip wing (top wing) on a wet fly with a pinch hold, except that instead of holding the wing material on top of the hook, you hold the Mallard slips so they tent over the body of the fly slightly and make an upside down "V" then cinch it down with a loose wrap tightening upward.

Ps, stay away from glue :) hoping it akes sense.

Seems like it would work as it makes 2 flat surfaces to tie onto. I usually just grab em and tie em down. There are really 2 things to keep in mind, you are trying to comprss the fibers like an accordion and as you tie them in they will want to roll on the hook, a loose wrap or 2 and then an upward pull I found will keep it in place.

green-butt-spey-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

to add insult to injury, you should really have two layers of BM to produce a robust wing that will have your fly swim properly. Not a knock against you or your tying, but that fly looks like it may flip over--Just my experience. I've had some flies with beautifully tented wings that looked picture perfect, but were unfishable. Sometimes it's just the hackle is too dense. :peesout:

When I first started tying Spey flies I ruined many a bronze mallard wing until I paid more attention to the base the wing is to be tied too. It is criticle that you have a smooth even base on which to mount the wing. Waxing your thread can help prevent the wing from slipping and of coarse learning how much thread pressure will soon follow with practice. Once you become proficient at these skills you will find that adding a second wing is easier than you might think. Hope this helps.

• Like 2