Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Rods

I currently have a 9 weight rod which I would imagine would do for pike fishing, but I recently got a special offer on some heavier rods that I want to look into. Right now I'm looking at picking up a 12 weight rod. I've heard in places about people using 12 weight rods for pike. I'm wondering if this would be total overkill or not. I'm probably still going to pick it up for other uses in the future but was looking for opinions on using it for pike fishing. What's everyone's opinion on this? Thanks

I use a 7 wt for Pike(mainly because I already own one for fishing salmon) .. there were a few times I had to play a fish a little longer than needed..unless your planning on hitting some big trophy waters. I can see no reason to own anything heavier than a 10, unless you fish salt water like TrailHead said.

I would say it's a bit of overkill for Pike 10wt would be as high as I would go. That's not to say it won't work well for pike. It will give you a bit more backbone for casting big pike flies. It would however be a perfect saltwater rod as it has been mentioned already.

DutchDryFly is correct. We often equate rod weight to the size of the fish we intend to catch, rather than the size of the fly we wish to present. A 12 wt will give you the line size required for very large and heavy rigs and longer casting distances will be possible when chucking the big hardware. Plus, you will be able to land 100lb.'ers with ease.

Better yet, buy a 16' #12 wt. Spey Rod that can cast 180' with ease.

A 12 is not overkill if you are using bunny-streamers 15 inches and longer.

Rob

IMHO yes it is overkill. I've chucked 6-7" bunnies and egg-heads on 3/0 stainless for years with my 7wt sage. I'd rather work a bit harder loading the rod and have some fun than hook the fish and fall asleep fighting them...

To each his own I guess. 15" IS a long bunny!

Bear in mind that a particularly well know fly fisherman was known for tying a key (yes, a KEY!) on the end of his 4 wt and casting it - just to make a point that you didn't need a heavier rod to fish streamers for trout. The part that makes you *hit yourself is that he kept it in the air - I always wondered what would happen if it caught his rod tip on the way by....

Well, my experience casting big weight on a rod that is too light, has been broken rod tips, over stressed, stretched/cracked lines and general poor casting performance. Rods/lines/leaders/tippets/flys, all need to be balanced, to achieve optimum performance. Secondly, there's the hit to the back of the head to consider as well.

i can bomb out a double streamer rig with 2 4-6 inch streamers with my 8wt no prob...same with them 10-12 inch double bunnies, clousers etc....all in the stop and start....adn greg im sure you have seen me do this a few times

Yeah getting hit in the head hurts. Unfortunately I know this from experience. However I learnt very quickly the importance of balancing an outfit. I know have way too many rods and reels. Wait is that even possible?

Secondly, there's the hit to the back of the head to consider as well.

That's why I don't use a 6 weight for pike anymore.

I'm heading up to Selwyn Lake where 20-30 lb pike are common, so I'll mainly use the 9 and take the 12 as a back up.