Fly Fusion Forums

Guide Spacing For A 8' 3/2 Spin Cast Rod

I am in the process of building a 3 piece cane spin cast rod ( I was asked to go fishing this fall and realized that I didn't have a baitchucker )

I have spacing guides charts for fly rods but none for a spin cast. I think that using a fly rod template would a) make it to heavy B) over kill. Any ideas out there.

It's a 8' 2 tip large trout rod.

Thanks Don that will work

I am trying to use up a bunch of old fly rod blanks and Ferrels I had lying around

Not sure what guides I will be using yet. I have a bunch of old red agate guides and tips. Left over for a dream rod project I did awhile back. Again maybe over kill.

Again thanks

Paul

Paul,

This guy in Victoria, BC has a good selection of guides. http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com

Dealing in the US, try mudhole.com

And for a British Flavor my favourite supplier is http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk

I'd use a very light guide to reduce swing weight. Some spin guides are quite heavy.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

Thanks Don for the reminder on the swing weight. Those agate guides would be to heavy.

I have been dealing with RBS in Victoria for about 20yrs and like that you can down load their catalog. The service is exceptional.