Fly Fusion Forums

Federal Election

I'm concerned for the future of this Province and the future of my Grand Children. By now, everyone has heard about the platforms of the three major parties. I just finished reading about what that translates to as far as "Dollars" go.

According to CTV.CA, the Conservatives are promising a balanced budget with 7.6 billion dollars of new spending. I believe the spending is the total after four years.

The NDP are promising just over 34 billion in new spending, no mention of balancing the budget and most of the new spending to be in year four of their mandate.

The Liberals scare the crap out of me with new spending of just short of 150 BILLION dollars over the course of four years along with a deficit budget of 10 billion dollars in the first year alone.

In my opinion, if the Liberals win this election, it will take several Decades for this Country to recover. My Grand Children will be saddled with a very difficult future.

• Like 5

Your grandchildren are already saddled with a very difficult future.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-drops-out-of-top-10-most-developed-countries-list-1.1357269

Even if your grandchildren are university educated, they are less likely to get a well-paying job (or heck, even a bad job) in the present economic climate. We are falling out of global favour because of antiquated social policies and completely devoid of any environmental initiatives.

I have international work colleagues. They make fun of how Canada has fallen. Now, lets couple this with the fact that your grandchildren (and me too) will have to work longer and harder than any generation before us.

The only thing that scares me if things stay the same. A balanced budget should be the least of your grandchildren's concerns.

• Like 4

Note also that government debt is unique because our currency is based on it. It is literally true that if there was no government debt, there would not be a single Canadian dollar in circulation. What matters is not the total debt, but the debt to GDP ratio. It does not work like a credit card, though you wouldn`t be able to tell from all the wrong-headed conservative scare mongering.

• Like 1

Here's my take for what it's worth:

I am hopeful that we will see either a Liberal or Conservative minority government.
While ideologically I lean more towards the Conservatives, I have issue with the way our country has been governed over the last decade. A lack of cooperation with the provinces and a move towards more American style politics makes me uneasy about another Stephen Harper lead majority government.
The Liberal platform has some potential. That being said, I haven't seen enough from Trudeau yet to just hand over the keys to the country. I would be comfortable to see what happens in a Liberal minority and decide again in a few years if they have earned a broader mandate.

The current government has a style problem, not a content problem.

I have several friends that have been working on a few CPC campaigns. Sounds like they have been given some guidance from the central campaign to "save the office furniture". Internal polls are suggesting this will not be a good night for the CPC, and they are throwing resources at seats that might be saved.