Fly Fusion Forums

Sage 7136-4, Best Grains Weights?

alhuger

All,

I recently purchased a new Airflo Delta Multitip line for my Sage 7136-4. My initial line was a straight Airflow Delta 6/7 and after feeling a little foolish for not going multitip to start with I shelled out the cash for the multi tip rig. As it turns out though, what I thought was a 6/7 multitip was actually a 7/8 and I think it's overloading my rod somewhat.

Here as the specs:

Airflow Delta 6/7 is 470 grains

Airflow Delta multi 7/8 is 530 grains

It feels to me like the 530 is a bit heavy. I can still push line out but it's more difficult. Any simple rule of thumb I can apply here to figure out if I am overlined? I cannot find any specs for the 7136-4 which suggest grain weight. Any advice would be be appreciated.

-al

hey dude my thoughts are...i would either say..take it back....it says right on the airflow box...28day refund or sumn like that if u dotn like it or have problems...or oyu could hack some off too compensate for teh weight but now u got a shorter head......or buy another rod ;)

have you checked teh sage site...or googled too find teh rod specs?

p.s. i almost did teh same frickin thing today with a skagit head..670grains!!! way too much...lmao.... 560...perfect...for what i was looking for anyway....good thing i always drag my ass when im in teh shop...and its the jump from a 7/8 to a 8/9 was that substantial too i was shocked

hey dude my thoughts are...i would either say..take it back....it says right on the airflow box...28day refund or sumn like that if u dotn like it or have problems...or oyu could hack some off too compensate for teh weight but now u got a shorter head......or buy another rod ;)

have you checked teh sage site...or googled too find teh rod specs?

p.s. i almost did teh same frickin thing today with a skagit head..670grains!!! way too much...lmao.... 560...perfect...for what i was looking for anyway....good thing i always drag my ass when im in teh shop...and its the jump from a 7/8 to a 8/9 was that substantial too i was shocked

Yeh, your right I should return it, of course I feel like an idiot but it's not cheap. I'll have to weigh my pride against my pocket book. As TM pointed out to me on Speypages, the Rio guide should suffice for figuring out the right grain weight and the 7/8 is like 60 grains over what they suggest, thankfully I still have my 6/7. I will bring it on Friday (the 7/8) so you can throw it and give me your opinion. You casting sinking tips much on the bow with your rig(s) yet?

-al

I have both the AirFlow Delta multi tip in 6/7 and 7/8, as well as a S.A. XLT 6/7 , 85' Head, long belly line, that should perform well on that rod!

I also have a couple of Skagit and Scandinavian heads that should work on the z-axis 7136. We'll try them all and with sink tips as well.

I have both the AirFlow Delta multi tip in 6/7 and 7/8, as well as a S.A. XLT 6/7 , 85' Head, long belly line, that should perform well on that rod!

I also have a couple of Skagit and Scandinavian heads that should work on the z-axis 7136. We'll try them all and with sink tips as well.

Wow, that's awesome, I look fwd to it.

Ok, I went back to my 6/7 and I can cast again! I am mulling over my options but I might cut back my multitip. For those of you who are by the southland dogpark, the bite is on. As I was practice casting I was watching fish take small (like 18/20) emergers on a hatch that was carpeting shallow water. It was beautiful to watch.

-sl

hey dude sounds like u fixed the problem...iunstead of choppin teh multi tip hold onto it for 2 weeks once greg pays me and ill pick u up a 6/7 and we will swap...sounds like ur 7/8 is basically brand new and teh 530 grains window is perfect for my 2 bigger sticks...let talk tommorow...ill bring ur book too

hey dude sounds like u fixed the problem...iunstead of choppin teh multi tip hold onto it for 2 weeks once greg pays me and ill pick u up a 6/7 and we will swap...sounds like ur 7/8 is basically brand new and teh 530 grains window is perfect for my 2 bigger sticks...let talk tommorow...ill bring ur book too

Your on, I will keep the line and swap. I am going to be late tomorrow or may not be able to show, my daughter and wife both came down with the flu tonight, not pretty. You still have the same cell?

-al