Fly Fusion Forums

Simms G3 Guide Boots

I know these boots are popular with a lot of guys.

I've worn mine on 4 or 5 days and I always end up going back to my 20 year old Freestones the next trip. The G3 feels like I'm walking flat-footed (like there is very little lift in the heel) and I feel like I walking in a pair of ski boots which transmits all the stress up to my knees and hips. Doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Do these take a really long time to break in?

Thanks

Adams

I have a pair of G3s and 2 pairs of Freestones. Generally speaking, the Freestones were more comfortable and better to wear over longer periods, but the G3s are far more durable, and provide better support. The G3 durability meant they were harder to break in, probably took 30 km of hiking (10 or so outings) before they began to feel right.

The G3s aren't as bulletproof and aren't going to last as long as my old style Freestones but pretty much equal in comfort and the Freestone's had a smidge better ankle support IMO. I got roughly 5000 hrs plus of hiking and wading out of the Freestones and I'll be lucky to get half that out of the G3s.

• Like 2