Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Windermere

BigFoamy

Wasn't really thinking about fishing until I got there and walked out on the dock and looked into the water. Quickly went to Home Hardware in Invermere and bought everything big they had! Great fly section there, they even have materials for tying and a bins of flies for picking and packs of them. All I had was my 5W, when it was all said and done a 5W wasn't the right rod for the fish, weeds and flies. Anyways my first Bass ever, I had never even seen one in real life, was and still am totally stoked! Might go back and fish it again one day next week. Sisters place isn't being used till the 12th.

IMG_2147_zpsfbt1yzq9.jpg

d75a5cf4-a824-4541-8a33-58c740590bfc_zps

2nd

IMG_2122_zps267vkn4n.jpg

3rd

IMG_2114_zpsahtc3nkd.jpg

Also got this little guy, sorry for the out of water pick but, Ive never seen a fish like this before. I guess its a Pumpkin Seed. Took the Wooly Worm, my daughter also caught one.

IMG_2116_zpsxy5d9ylw.jpg

I got broke off by 2 more Bass, one of them could've eaten every fish in these pictures. I was in shock for about 10 minutes afterwards. Then my son looks at me and says "aah dude, that was such a rookie mistake" needless to say he almost got thrown overboard...

Also played GreyWolf for the first time. It was a week of firsts. Shot a birdie less 76, nice course but, I wouldn't want to play it all the time. Its way to extreme. Cart paths only was brutal. Played with a couple of members, the lady couldn't play after the 12th hole. Man that is one extreme golf course, it beats a lot of people up I'll bet. Anyways Ive seen it, I kicked its ass and probably wont go back. I like a flatter more user friendly course.

• Like 4

Nice fish! If you don't mind me asking, where on the lake did you fish (general area)? I've only fished the north end and never caught any bass, just a LOT of small to average size fish which I believe were kokanee. They were fun on a 5wt but I'd like to try for bass too.

Where is the Bill Dance Blooper video? Sweet pics. Very interested now to check that off the bucket list. How was the fight on the fly rod?

The fight was good, the fish where heavy. I think they wouldve had more energy if it wasn't 37 degrees everyday. The size of the fish combined with weeds and big flies made the 5w not right for the job. That said I wasn't planning on getting into any bass/big bass! I will take the 6w and 8w next time. these fish do exactly what they do on tv, as soon as they're caught they go under the dock and wrap you up or head straight into the weeds, you need a heavy enough rod and leader to keep them out of that stuff once they're on.

Nice fish! If you don't mind me asking, where on the lake did you fish (general area)? I've only fished the north end and never caught any bass, just a LOT of small to average size fish which I believe were kokanee. They were fun on a 5wt but I'd like to try for bass too.

Not to be a dick but, I have no idea where on that lake I was. Just down by my sisters cabin. I was told by two people the same spot so it must be good. I didn't have a motor on the boat so couldn't get there. Once I saw the bass by the dock, I went out on the row boat and could see them in the weeds and under docks so started fishing for them. My sister isn't in the shady brook camp ground but I was fishing kinda near there if you know where that is. the cabins down in that area, I dont know it very well.

I would love to hit that area downstream from the boat launch in Invermere, that spot between Invermere and Eagle Ranch Golf Course. Saw a guy come out of there in his jet boat and spoke to another. Apparently theres Char down there as well. If I wasn't with my wife and kids I would've offered the guy the 100$ I had in my wallet to take me in there for an hr or 2 :) probably wouldve resorted to begging.

Anybody have experience with fishing that stretch of the Columbia R. there between Invermere-Radium?My sister and family recently moved there from CGY to the little hamlet of Wilmer on the west side of river between Invermere-Radium,and it looks like a lovely stretch to float/paddle for a day?Not looking for secret holes,just curious what species I could expect to find there?Love to give it a try next visit,which will likely be for a few days early Aug if that makes any difference?

Anybody have experience with fishing that stretch of the Columbia R. there between Invermere-Radium?My sister and family recently moved there from CGY to the little hamlet of Wilmer on the west side of river between Invermere-Radium,and it looks like a lovely stretch to float/paddle for a day?Not looking for secret holes,just curious what species I could expect to find there?Love to give it a try next visit,which will likely be for a few days early Aug if that makes any difference?

no experience at all, I've only ever seen it from two different golf courses and while driving by :( my sister has kayaked it and says theres fish in there but, I'm not sure if she's knows wtf she's talking about :) As previously stated, saw a guy a guy come out of there in his jet boat so i asked another guy what he would be catching down there, he said probably Bass and that theres Char as well. I would really like to get in there.

Haha...typing at the same time as Foamy....so there is char there for one I guess?

yep :) double info

Anyways, it was a lot of fun. In between the Bass, the Northern Pike Minnows where always willing.

Also played GreyWolf for the first time. It was a week of firsts. Shot a birdie less 76, nice course but, I wouldn't want to play it all the time. Its way to extreme. Cart paths only was brutal. Played with a couple of members, the lady couldn't play after the 12th hole. Man that is one extreme golf course, it beats a lot of people up I'll bet. Anyways Ive seen it, I kicked its ass and probably wont go back. I like a flatter more user friendly course.

It gets easier actually. Just got to learn where not to hit it, how mountains affect break, etc. Don't be long, or left near greens. Played lots in that area, only play Grey Wolf if given the option.

I would love to hit that area downstream from the boat launch in Invermere, that spot between Invermere and Eagle Ranch Golf Course. Saw a guy come out of there in his jet boat and spoke to another. Apparently theres Char down there as well. If I wasn't with my wife and kids I would've offered the guy the 100$ I had in my wallet to take me in there for an hr or 2 :) probably wouldve resorted to begging.

I have fished this area probably 5 times and have always done well catching a lot of fish. I've caught mostly smaller to medium size fish (char and kokanee - no bass for me yet) on dries, nymphs, and smaller streamers but there is the occasional larger one. Great place if you want to have some fun catching a lot of fish or want to teach someone to fly fish. You can also swim down there.

Have never explored this stretch fully but have fished it downstream of where it flows out from the spot between Invermere and Eagle Ranch Golf Course (Looking at google maps it looks like it is close to Wilmer). There is some good looking water and there are fish. Would be interesting to float the whole stretch in a canoe or kayak.

There's also Toby Creek near Wilmer which apparently has fish in it. I haven't explored it a lot and haven't caught anything but its definitely another option.

Forgot to mention that there are also northern pikeminnows in the stretch between Invermere and Eagle Ranch Golf Course. Didn't know what they were at first but there are a lot of them as well.

In between the Bass I must have caught 100 of them, 1 of them was fairly large. Kept the kids catching and having fun.

• Like 1

Have never explored this stretch fully but have fished it downstream of where it flows out from the spot between Invermere and Eagle Ranch Golf Course (Looking at google maps it looks like it is close to Wilmer). There is some good looking water and there are fish. Would be interesting to float the whole stretch in a canoe or kayak.

There's also Toby Creek near Wilmer which apparently has fish in it. I haven't explored it a lot and haven't caught anything but its definitely another option.

My sisters cabin is 5 minutes from there. Ive got access to 2 kayaks, 1 canoe and or a coleman row boat. They've got a 10 hp shakespere for it but, I haven't used the motor…yet!

It gets easier actually. Just got to learn where not to hit it, how mountains affect break, etc. Don't be long, or left near greens. Played lots in that area, only play Grey Wolf if given the option.

It was paths only because of all the rain. I hit every fairway that day and couldn't get close to my ball. There where no flat spots, I found getting around out there to be difficult. That said, I think it was in better shape than I had anticipated as I've heard its never in great shape because of where it is, besides how wet it was I thought the conditions where good. Greens are a little slow and grainy but, how often do you play somewhere with super great greens, you have to adjust. If i could've putted those greens I probably would've been right around par, couldn't sink a putt!

Also got a game in at the Springs, what a great golf course. I hadn't played it in 16 years and it was better than ever. Didnt score as well, was 78 but, triple bogeyed 14 :( but the course is much more what i prefer. Awesome conditions, with great views and playability.