Fly Fusion Forums

Back Country Mountain Streams

hey just wondering if anybody has done some back country hiking into rarely fished waters? i was thinking about picking up some topo maps and maybe trying to find some stuff, let me know if anyone has done this before or would be interested in maybe finding some untapped waters. thanks

Most of that stuff doesnt open til June 16th. Its cool to explore and find new waters. Thats what fly fishin is all about. Lots of people ask where to go and it drives a lot of people on here nuts because they've put in some hard earned fishing time finding their secret places. Good luck to you and be safe.

Sounds like a great idea. The Alberta Backroads maps are great for finding small creeks to fish. Make sure your prepared for a bear encounter when you're out in the wilderness. Bangers and Spray are good to have on hand. There was also a more detailed map book put out a couple years back, but I can't remember the name. They were selling it at the 2005 FFE in calgary though.

hey just wondering if anybody has done some back country hiking into rarely fished waters? i was thinking about picking up some topo maps and maybe trying to find some stuff, let me know if anyone has done this before or would be interested in maybe finding some untapped waters. thanks

Just how backcountry are we talking?

I know of a fair bit of productive rarely fished waters - but it's not "day hike" kind of stuff. PM me and I might have some tid bits for thought.

I'd be up for finding some back country waters as well. Some good maps are put out by GemTrek (the yellow and blue ones). Maps are topographic and fairly waterproof, with all official trails depicted. they have maps to cover most of the rocky mountains. Mountain Equipment CO-OP has them. I find that these used with the backcountry mapbooks give me all the info I need to go "hunting" for cutty streams. PM me if you want to head out sometime, I'm always looking for someone to go with.

Exploring new waters is allways pretty exciting, hiking into a remote lake, fishing a stream to its headwaters. Last year it was my first for a lot of the rivers on the trunk road and I did miles up those streams and rivers! Which I had a gps to mark out some holes but I'll find them again!

Many of my best spots were found this way - All those maps, google earth, etc etc are resourses everyone has access to so finding something trully untouched may be harder than one would think - for me the real thrill is finding some hidden monster in a place the no angler in his/her right mind would consider exploring. This leads to more than a few fishless days but if your into the hiking and angling for the pleasure of angling (not just catching fish) this is a rewarding way to go - It may seem hard to find secret little spots but trust me, its even harder to keep them secret once you do, LOL