Fly Fusion Forums

? No Action On A Stone Fly Hatch ?

Sorry, not sure what that is. Can you provide the full latin name please?

Sallieus jaundisae,ha!

Actually...serious question about these stoneflies....are the females much larger than the males,as in almost twice as large?

Reason being,I was at FCP mid afternoon the other day,and the grass/bushes held loads of these Sallys.I noticed a small "Sally" (sz14ish?) mounted on the back of a much larger (sz 8-10?) Sally in what I assume was some mating ritual?

Anyhow....the smaller ones (males?)seem much more common...just wondering which, if either,is more significant from an angler's perspective?

Actually...serious question about these stoneflies....are the females much larger than the males,as in almost twice as large?
Reason being,I was at FCP mid afternoon the other day,and the grass/bushes held loads of these Sallys.I noticed a small "Sally" (sz14ish?) mounted on the back of a much larger (sz 8-10?) Sally in what I assume was some mating ritual?
Anyhow....the smaller ones (males?)seem much more common...just wondering which, if either,is more significant from an angler's perspective?

Great observations and you are correct. Males are typically smaller and more abundant in the early stages of the emergence cycle. The ratio of females will increase as the emergence continues. This is a common trait of most stonefly species and generally, most Mayfly and Caddis species as well. Post emergence, the female stoneflys are of more significance to angling as they will return too the water to lay their eggs and present a new opportunity for the trout to feed on them. That's if you can find a trout eating them.

With Mayfly's (and some Caddis species), the males are also important to anglers, post emergence, as they will form spinner swarms along the shorelines, to attract females to mate with. Afterwards, most of the swarm will fall to the water and die, (spinner fall), making them available to trout.

And thanks too BigFoamy and billie, for taking the time to post pics. Some anglers see great value in educating themselves about the food that our trout eat and how that knowledge can be applied to improve their fishing tactics and success.

Of course others prefer to "dumb it down" to the lowest common denominator and beyond, sometimes to a point that the information becomes inaccurate and/or irrelevant.

• Like 1