Fly Fusion Forums

Pfd: What To Use For Kayak Fly Fishing?

Fortunate has smiled upon me. I will spend 6weeks this summer kayak fly-fishing. Over 80% will be on stillwater where I will be fishing directly from the kayak. The other 20% will be using the kayak to transport down easy rivers. I am not sure what I am looking for or how much to spend.

I will assume that I will want some storage on the vest, enough for nippers, forceps, etc. I have read that bulkiness in the front of the vest is undesirable because the body rotation and paddle needed to propel a kayak efficiently.

While a kayak is a little diferent, I assume there will be some functional crossover from a bellyboat or pontoon. Can FFC please give me some advice?

I can't say I have done any kayak FF . I do spend a lot of time FF in a solo canoe and find myself trolling a lot or anchored because you will be needing your hands to control the boat. So I guess what I'm saying is think about what kind of rod holder setup you want and storage .

• Like 1

I can't say I have done any kayak FF . I do spend a lot of time FF in a solo canoe and find myself trolling a lot or anchored because you will be needing your hands to control the boat. So I guess what I'm saying is think about what kind of rod holder setup you want and storage .

Good points.

I punted around on the kayaks last summer for a month, but only realized that I could fish from it on the second last day. Sure enough, Googling 'fly fish kayak' clearly showed other people have thought of most of the issues. The spinning rod allowed proof of concept, but there were 2 clear issues.

First, I needed a better, proper fitting PFD. It only took 20 minutes to start chaffing. Fly casting is much more involved than a crank bait.

Like you said, the second issue is storage. I had included the rod holder in the issue. I have already purchased the rod holders and paddle clips. The kayaks have enough storage space for a days worth of fishing, but certainly not the capacity of the canoe. One kayak is a sit-on-top, the other is a sit in. Both can store a great deal, but storage is not easy to access. This is why I would kinda like PFD/vest combo, but I know the bulkiness in the vest is a bad idea.

I have until summer solstice to figure it out.

'Fishing' canoes tend to be rigged like a catamaran. Did you make any adjustments to your canoe for fishing?

? Did I make any adjustments for fishing . That's why I build them. But really no I am pretty much a traditionist . A good yoke . I like to portage up to a km or two. Also I find wind to be a b...ch in boat control while trying to cast unless you are anchored . Even a little bit of wind . Hope this helps

Paul

I "had" a kayak,and if I was to do-over,it would DEFINATELY be a sit-on fishing/hunting style vs. the traditional sit-in cockpit like my previous boat.

It was fine for what it was,that being a touring model with fore and aft watertight bulkheads with loads of storage room for overnighters(OldTown Heron 14')......but I just found it very difficult to get in and out of safely on anything other than a relatively flat beach,shoreline,or extreme shallow water where you could ground it out.

I "thought" it was gonna be the catsazz for fishing and warerfowling,but on a river like Bow for instance,it's tricky to get out of in most places if you want to wade,or on smaller streams if you need to walk it down thru some rough stretches,and on an icy cold November duck marsh in knee deep water.....good luck not taking a cold dunk.

Sit-on tops are far better suited for hunting/fishing applications.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Kokatat Bahia PfD from MEC. Its $95 and its got the low profile back foam you need so it doesn't ride up on your back rest. Unfortunately they only come in Blue and Bright orange. The Blue ones go quick, they just got a new shipment in and they sell out pretty quickly in the S/M size. Otherwise you can go to Aquabatics across from COP and buy one of the NRS ones that have the same low profile foam back feature. They are a bit more, but are designed for fisherman, so they have pockets and neutral colours. I'm using mine on my pontoon for rowing. My normal wedge style paddling PfD has thick foam on the back and is super annoying and uncomfortable with a high back chair. Its too bad that the one from Bass Pro isn't available in Canada, it looked pretty good, but its not Canadian Approved.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5009-908/kokatat-bahia-pfd-unisex/?h=10+50004+50047&f=10+50004+50047