Fly Fusion Forums

Going South To Winter Fish?

So how far, and where, are some options south of us that would offer reasonable open water fly fishing when Alberta is frozen over? Flowing water is my preference but lake options are welcome. The intent would be a fifth wheel trip, but hotels for a shorter stay is not out of the question.

A round of golf would be appreciated but not the focus.

Any advice? Just thinking of next year.

Just anytime that fishing here doesn't work. I have little interest in dodging ice and on a personal level, would prefer not to play out wintering fish.

The Mo' sounds interesting. I'm usually busy in Jan-Feb anyway, but extending the season is the intent. How many hours to the Missouri? Any decent camping spots?

Arizona is a bit far for a driving trip, unless it was for a longer stay.

PS: Just had a look, about 5hrs to the Montana sections?

The Mo is a good bet - it's a fun fishery. It might be worth calling one of the fly shops down there to see when the bows leave the main stem to spawn (usually a bit earlier than up here). It's probably about 6 hrs to Craig when you include the border crossing, which can sometimes lengthen your time.

Every March I head down to Missoula MT for Skwala fishing on the Bitterroot. When you time it right the dry fly action can be the best of the season. Missoula is an awesome town - good fishing, great restaurants, good lodging at a good rate ($100/night), and lots of trout bums to BS with at the pub after a day on the river. I've heard lots of people take down their own boat and use the local shuttle service.

I've been taking trips down there for years with the same shop...they offer a $375 full-day float special in March. Being based out of Missoula you have lots of rivers to chose from - Bitterroot, the Mo, rock creek, etc. Heading down this Thursday!

PM me if you want any info.

Tks for the info folks. Looks like I have some investigating to do. 6hrs is reasonable and the season should fit nicely with our typical spring "cabin-fever" symptoms. March can be a long month :(, but always glad to see February pass :). This has been a good year to live in southern Alberta so far.

I'm not usually one to take a guided float but it might be a good idea to get a trip tradition started. The local shops should be able to lead me around the sensitive spawning periods, not my interest to interfere with that in any way.