Fly Fusion Forums

Sous Vide Cooking

Hey folks,

So the next greatest thing is now the Sous Vide cooking technique. The process uses vacuum packed meat (which has been seasoned) and immersing it in a hot water bath. Depending on the type of meat, the cooking process can take up to a few hours to a couple days (Beef Ribs). Once you set your temperature on your sous vide cooker, the meat cannot be overcooked, and will cook within a degree of the temperature you have set, (i.e. prime rib 135 degrees). That means you can put your roast on in the morning and never have to worry about it overcooking, when you are ready, you just take the meat out of the cooker, cut open the bag, and sear the outside of the meat on the barbecue, or with a torch. Let the meat rest for a minute or so, and voila you are good to go! The machine can be used to cook salmon, pork, ribs, veggies,chicken, you name it. I know this isn't a cooking site, but for some us fisher people, I am thinking this might be useful. No one wants to spoil a great cut of meat, this method takes the chance of that happening out of the picture. I just bought one, so if anyone is interested, check out Sous Vide Cooking by googling it. Looking forward to some great meals using this thing!

Cheers

Sous Vide has been around since the days of Escoffier, certainly nothing new on the culinary scene, although the advances to the immersion heaters has definitely made this method of cooking available to all. I've had success by using a Food Saver, pot of water and a good digital thermometer.

My only concern for the home cook would be preparing foods that may contain certain types of bacteria that will reproduce in an anaerobic environment like you have when you remove the oxygen (vacuum seal) and then heat at lower temps. Cases of botulism have been reported especially with mushrooms.

I personally like to prepare multiple meals this way and they freeze them, then you can basically 'boil in bag' for a quick dinner.

Colin (ex Chef of 30+ years)

• 1 month later...

Follow up:

So I have had the Sous Vide a while now and have used it to cook chicken, vegetables, ribs, and beef. Simply put, I love it. I wouldn't go out and buy the Sous Vide Supreme again, and would opt for the more portable one that can be used with a cooler. Only for costs as the Sous Vide Supreme was expensive.The veggies are awesome and really do absorb the seasonings, and herbs you add. The boneless chicken breast cooked to perfection, as well as ribs I had in the sous vide for 72 hours. Concerns over meat that contain bacteria (CDONE), were concerning to me, but I did some additional research and providing you serve the food after you cook it, there are no concerns. However, if you want to keep it safely for storage say for the freezer, you can do this by putting the cooked bags of food into an ice bucket, soak and then freeze. Works like a charm. Going to try using it for omelets and eggs next.

Cheers

Cgyguy