Fly Fusion Forums

Opinions On A New Rod, All Is Helpful.

When I won the 2014 International Fly tying Competition I was given a 4 weight fly line. I don't have a 4 weight so I am looking into getting one. I'm thinking of getting a TFO Professional II Rod, TFO Signature II Series Fly Rod or an Orvis Clearwater rod. What are your opinions on the three rods. All is helpful. If you have any other rods that are in the same price range I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Braden

Ive got a Lefty Krey 5w Sig Series, I don't like it, wouldn't buy another one. To short, heavy and fast. Gave it to my nephew, haven't seen it since. That said I bought a 5w BVK last year because I had a gift cert. and I really like it. Ive got a G Loomis GL3 4w that never gets used, ever! I find that having a couple of 5w's and a 6w that there is never a reason to break the 4w out. You may want to consider selling the line and getting a 5w, imo, much more versatile rod but, whatever floats your boat right :) I only use 2 of my rods at this point 6w GLX (my favorite rod of all time) and the 5w BVK.

Braden, I totally agree with Mr. Botangles, don't look at the brand name and cast as many different rods as you can get your hands on. A top end, expensive rod may not suit your casting style. Settle on the rod that feels best to you. Now, having said that, I have a 4 wt Orvis that you are welcome to try out. It's not for sale so I'm not trying to unload a rod on you but if you want to cast it, send me a note and we can work something out.

Murray