Fly Fusion Forums

Did The Float Yesterday

Was a great day, best weather Ive had on a float trip, 22x to Mackinon. Saw a jet boat and two pontoons, that was it. We nymphed all day and had good success. The first hour we didn't get anything which kinda sucked because that was all new and GREAT water, they just weren't on yet. Got bunch of Rainbows 4 of significant size but, only landed one of the big boys, a bunch of Whitefish three of which where freakishly large/FAT, they're always good fun in between and we each managed a small Brown. Saw a couple of good fish rising later in the day that I managed to #$%@ up. Where I was in the boat and the way the wind was blowing I couldn't get a good cast out. I didn't want to take out one of Terry's eyes or plant a hook in him. A good dry fly guy would've caught that fish. All in all it was a good day. Ive floated from Police to Mac 7/8 times now, the last 3rd of the trip is always lack luster imo. Gonna try a different route next time, probably the upper.

You might also want to try the lower portion. MacKinnons to Carseland is a little longer but has great water to fish, and will be nice and new if you've never been. Same sort of flies, lots of nice drifts, and lots of nice holding water. My two cents worth!

Cgyguy