Fly Fusion Forums

Gps Maps

Gang

Just bought a Garmin GPSmap 62s

Whatis the best map to download (either free or paid) for the Canadian Rockies. Are the back roads gps maps any good or is the a better choice?'

I've never owned a gps so this is a new experience.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?! (pun intended)

Peter

Hi Uber :

I have been playing the game of trying to load free maps for an orientation program I have been trying to put together for work . It has been very frustrating . You will probably need to start out with Base camp on your PC and I would recommend that you save your self the frustration and purchase the map from the Garmin web site . Know I will warn you this is coming from an old map and compass guy.

Paul

Uber:

Not really a techno, but I've got topo for all western Canada, and Mapbooks AB/BC. Some differences. Haven't really used enough to really make any recommendation. Mind you I always seem to have issues with technology. Base camp is easy to get stuff to and from GPS.

Base Camp is made to interface with your Garmin GPS. You can get FREE govt Topo maps of all of Canada that you can load into Base Camp and into you GPS (Ibycus Topo - http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/). I have used this system for several years. Easy transfer from your computer onto the GPS and vice versa. Other expensive maps are available and Ibycus may not be the best - but it is very functional once loaded and the price is right (a bit quirky to download and install, but after that never a problem).

Hi Uber :

I have been playing the game of trying to load free maps for an orientation program I have been trying to put together for work . It has been very frustrating . You will probably need to start out with Base camp on your PC and I would recommend that you save your self the frustration and purchase the map from the Garmin web site . Know I will warn you this is coming from an old map and compass guy.

Paul

Garmin website wants US!!$118... Didn't look all that great...

Thanks Paul

Didn't want to, but I dropped the $ on the Backroads GPS series. Seemed the best for what I wanted plus I'm familiar with the mapbook series.

P

Like I said I am still working on this orientation program and never looked at backroads. Thanks for that. If I could ask a couple of question. How difficult was it to load ( I don't like taking my children to work ) Also do you think I would be able to load more than one unit ( I have 8 ) Any info would help

Paul

It goes directly into the GPS unit (SD micro with adapter), but there is also a dvd version, and then there is a map you can upload after you register... About to do that now... Hope it's compatible with a Mac!! Maybe contact them and see if you can get an education version (or discount)

P