Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Project

Hello fellow anglers, I am working on a fishing art piece and was wondering if I could call upon your opinions.

The question I am asking is the following -

If someone was to ask you what the 10 most iconic flies of Calgary were, what would be on your list?

I know what your thinking, "yeah right, for art, you just want info about flies to use" ha ha well don't worry, my fly boxes are full and I'm no threat to the fish with my recent skunked missions.

Anyway, any suggestions are will be greatly appreciated. If you are worried about people's judgment on your most iconic Calgary flies then PM me.

Once again, thanks in advance for any opinions. I hope to post the work up on this if it turns out any good.

Tight lines and bent rods to you all!

Well if you want to be true to the bow and what most fly fisherman use, you probably should just do 10 different San Juan Worms.

or....

Myabe do some life cycles of a few typical calgary bugs

stonefly (kaufmann stone + stimulator)

caddis (green hares ear, z wing caddis, elk hair caddis)

BWO (bwo killer, serendipity, Parachute adams)

And then maybe throw in some streamers (bow river bugger, sculpin pattern)

Obviously pick your favourites for each of those bugs, but I think something like that could look pretty cool.

Post pics when you're done so that we can see what you have created!!

• Like 1

I "discovered" BRBs at least 10 years and 3000 miles before I ever actually wet my feet in the Bow,and thought "Wow!! ..a combination muddler/bugger,my top 2 go-to eastern Brookie flies ...winner winner!!

I would think it goes without saying that any compilation of YYC flies MUST feature the BRB front and center.Anything less would be akin to omitting the Bomber or Green Machine from the Miramichi Deadly Dozen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...