Fly Fusion Forums

Streamers With Stingers

Hi Guys,

I wanted to know if a fly that has a stinger hook on the end is legally defined as 2 hooks. In Alberta we are allowed up 3 single hooks on a single line. So if someone was to tie on another 2 flies behind a leech with a stinger this would be considered illegal correct?

Thanks

Black Ant

as long as your total is 3 or less you should be good ... I don't use more than just the streamer hook plus the single stinger but I think one more would still be within the rules ... but I am not 100% sure on that ... however I almost always tie a stinger on now when using big hairy streamers ... I do believe it has tripled or maybe even quadrupled the strike to hookup ratio when using the big hairy stuff ... just last season Deano and I were out hunting bulls and he had the same bull on 3 times in a row and lost him every time ... I told him about tying on a stinger to improve the hook up he tried it and the 4th time he stuck it and got a nice bull ... now just like that bull Deano's hooked on the stinger too!!! I use my old beat up mayfly patterns that are coming apart its a good way to use them up ... everybody has a couple mangled up dries in there box somewhere. here is Deano landing those bulls after I told him to use the stinger. it's about the 4:50 mark.

CHEERS!!!!