Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Trout

They tend to be found in the high country, hike in high alpine lakes, places like Southfork, Barnaby Ridge and Rainy Ridge north of Waterton/Glacier Park among others. I've hiked in for them in my younger years, helicopter fishing is a good way to go to get to Golden lakes. Its usually sight fishing as the alpine waters are gin clear. We found long 12 ft leaders where the ticket, using a variety of flies from Caddis to Chironomids and tiny streamers. A gem of a Trout.

• Like 2

Rainy ridge is fairly easy to get into, lots of small fish in my experience (I've only spent one night there). Found better size at Coral, but a hell of a long hike in. Coral is probably more practical from a helicopter if you aren't into a marathon hike in (long, 10-12 creek crossings)

thanks guys after looking into it I really want to get after some goldens. what is pricing like for a heli in?would it be affordable with a few guys?

$199/pp out of KC or Nordegg seems to be the going rate,I couldn't say if there's a group discount but AFAIK it's a flat rate/pp?