Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Want To Buy An Aerated Lake?

Weedy1

30 acre lake, 30 ft deep, aerated, 2500 rainbows in 2005, 300 this year. I thought about it but just couldn't seem to come up with an extra 800 grand. :angry:

I did talk to the owner. He built a road through to an island and across to the other side. He put culverts in so the fish could swim back and forth. There is camping on the island.

Listing:

http://www.darcypowlik.com/listings/listingdetail.cfm?id=352

Google Earth (zoom in 3 to 4 times to see island)

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&ie=UTF...014462&z=16

352-main-20070927081615-5.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher

16 guys with $50K each and it would be the bestest ever clubhouse.

One could also consider making it a trophy fishing club. The economics are not there unless the fish can grow to over 10lbs. It is possible however.

I did some research several years ago into developing something like this. The price is outrageous

Land $1500/ac. = $195,000

Power $50,000

1820 ft2 Barn - $250,000(?)

Lake improvements - $100,000

Lease revenue (NPV 10%) - $21,000

Looks like a reasonable value for ~$600,000

The price is inflated by using the words "recreational property" in the listing

The property is east of Drayton, NW of Alsike so it's not really remote.

Participants would need the ability to carry some ongoing operating contributions (taxes, improvements, utilities).

Go with undivided interests in the land - it looks like it would be difficult to subdivide - expensive to work around the water body. There may be environmental restrictions on any work around the pond.

You'll need an initial capital budget to put in some infrastructure - recommend trailer sites with hook-ups initially - or people will fight over the barn. Power is already there so that's taken care of.

If you do it as a bareland condo, rules can be set-up - common vs private property, financial obligations, voting rights, ownership transfer, operating committee.

There are several ways to handle varying useage. As some would be able to spend much more time than others this would need to be addressed.

The producing well (2/16-7-49-4W5) looks like it's nearing the end of its life so the rentals can't be relied on. It is an abandonment candidate although it likely would not be done immediately. It's not prospective for additional drilling.

I did some research several years ago into developing something like this. The price is outrageous

Land $1500/ac. = $195,000

Power $50,000

1820 ft2 Barn - $250,000(?)

Lake improvements - $100,000

Lease revenue (NPV 10%) - $21,000

Looks like a reasonable value for ~$600,000

The price is inflated by using the words "recreational property" in the listing

The property is east of Drayton, NW of Alsike so it's not really remote.

Participants would need the ability to carry some ongoing operating contributions (taxes, improvements, utilities).

Go with undivided interests in the land - it looks like it would be difficult to subdivide - expensive to work around the water body. There may be environmental restrictions on any work around the pond.

You'll need an initial capital budget to put in some infrastructure - recommend trailer sites with hook-ups initially - or people will fight over the barn. Power is already there so that's taken care of.

If you do it as a bareland condo, rules can be set-up - common vs private property, financial obligations, voting rights, ownership transfer, operating committee.

There are several ways to handle varying useage. As some would be able to spend much more time than others this would need to be addressed.

The producing well (2/16-7-49-4W5) looks like it's nearing the end of its life so the rentals can't be relied on. It is an abandonment candidate although it likely would not be done immediately. It's not prospective for additional drilling.

= ONE BIG HEADACHE

The land is zoned AG.

3-5 lots could possibly be developed at one end of the lake according to the people I spoke to.

With AG zoning I think you can do whatever you please with the lake. Farmers fill them in all the time. The guy did build a road across it to the island. Yes/No???

Who stocked the lake, is it connected (looks like it is), which would mean it is public lands.

Under the new wetland act, you can't fill it in, and there are drainage issues to deal with eitherway.

Anyways who in there right mind buys a rec property then subdivides so you have neighbours (probably stupid too)?

It then becomes a little piece of city, manicured lawns, noise, concrete, and all.

$879k... Now that's alot of fishing trips to real water around the world with wild trout.

Guest Sundancefisher

I would say that the land remains Agricultural which would be a good thing. The land would be bought by a numbered company of which everyone would own an equal piece. People would pay annual dues to cover off utilities, fish stocking, taxes etc. As a company engaged in agriculture (i.e. fish farming), deductions would be allowed. Reasonable travel costs to and from the property would be allowed in order to assess the growth rates etc. Rules around how many people can be out at a time is often done such as a notice goes out that person A wishes to fish next weekend and bring two guests, if you allow only 10 people out, the limitation on guests would happen first (ie. owners can alway have priority over others guests). Limitations on numbers would most likely be important if sleeping over night and to control limits on numbers of guests.

You would always need a joint ownership agreement in place to allow for removal of persons not paying there dues and to allow people to sell their share with rights of first refusal to those already owners (method to screen out undesirables). You can always enter these arrangements as friends but without clear understandings of people expectations, conflicts will always arise.

The lake if looks like it sounds, looks productive enough that with aeration and the right strain of triploid rainbows should be able to produce some big brutes.

Who stocked the lake, is it connected (looks like it is), which would mean it is public lands.

Under the new wetland act, you can't fill it in, and there are drainage issues to deal with eitherway.

Anyways who in there right mind buys a rec property then subdivides so you have neighbours (probably stupid too)?

It then becomes a little piece of city, manicured lawns, noise, concrete, and all.

$879k... Now that's alot of fishing trips to real water around the world with wild trout.

Harps,

The lake was stocked by the owner. He purchased the fish from Ackenberry Trout Farms.

The Google image shows where the owner built a road through to the island then back to the opposite side. The entire lake as seen on the Google image is on the property. There is no public access to the lake.

If I were to invest in a piece of land such as this I would do it under the guidelines that Sundancefisher has detailed. Your right about subdividing, that would be dumb.

Harps,

The lake was stocked by the owner. He purchased the fish from Ackenberry Trout Farms.

The Google image shows where the owner built a road through to the island then back to the opposite side. The entire lake as seen on the Google image is on the property. There is no public access to the lake.

If I were to invest in a piece of land such as this I would do it under the guidelines that Sundancefisher has detailed. Your right about subdividing, that would be dumb.

That'd be the way to do it. On the map it looked like it is actually 3 lakes with the west most crossing a quarter section line (not always related to property). I still think I'd rather a peice of unimproved land with a nice section of river (perferably un-boatable river) running through it. I don't do the lake thing very often (although with more delayed harvests, I'll try).

I know of a lake down here that was privately stocked, but a township right-of-way ran through it, there-by allowing public access. Big Charr, brookies, and rainbows too. A shame.

I'm glad I posted this as it is a least a good dry run for the day when a potentially excellent deal arises and some members may want to invest.

For curiousity, if this property was say $500,000 would there be 10 people out there willing to invest $50000 if it was within a couple of hours of Calgary and abide by a set of rules such as Castuserraticus has outlined?