Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Size- Hook Gap And Shank Length

jaymack

I was thinking lately, with all of the different variations of shank length on hooks, ie. 1x short, 3x long, would it not make sense to tie all of your flies on the shortest shanked hook you could get away with, as long as the wire isn't too thick? This way you get the biggest hook gap for the shank length. I've heard of this a few times, but it makes me wonder why you would use say a 3x long hook, unless you are getting into the bigger sizes where you don't want a huge hook gap so it's not as harmful to the fish.

What does everyone else think?

It really does depend on what style of fly you are tying. Longer shank size allows more materials for things like streamers. to "bulk" up the body in width and length. There are flies that you cannot tie proportionally without a longer shank. Such flies like large stones need a longer shank. You really have to gear the hook length sand size to the proportions. As far as gape, I love a larger gape on hooks like the Owner for dry flies. I also use a larger more open gape for hoppers finding better hookups.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have something to add to this question that i've been thinking about lately. When the size of a fly is referred to as 12-18 or something along those lines, does this mean a size 12-18 standard hook? Would this still be the same if you were using a bead head, or would you use a size 12-18 1x or 2x long shank hook in this case? I have a bunch of different styles of hooks that I am doing nymphs with right now, and some of the size 12s have a shorter shank than some size 16s.