Fly Fusion Forums

Need A Soldering Pro

I'm trying to solder a fitting on to my 3/4" vertical copper pipe coming up from my water heater (changing out some Poly B water lines for PEX). Therefore I need the solder to go up against gravity to secure the joint. Well, gravity is winning and a plumber I ain't (X3). I need a Pro for a 10 minute job apparently. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Rob, not a plumber

not a plumber, but did a couple cabins. capillary action will draw the solder up into the joint - against gravity. But you need to have the parts clean, fluxed AND you must heat the joint itself. you can tell when the joint is hot enough, cuz the solder melts when pressed against the joint - and the flame is not pointed there.

OK, I have had 3 failures. Parts are clean and fluxed. I guess I need to heat the fitting even more and then remove the flame???

The solder is melting...but it is not getting sucked up into the joint. How do you know if the capillary action is working?

How much do flyfishing non-plumbers charge for house calls? :)

Done right, you'll see the solder pull up into the joint. Inside and outisde (male and female) of pipes have to be clean - emory paper to get all oxidation off. Flux on inside and outside. Any slow drip of water will prevent the solder from bonding.

At the right temperature, the flux will start to smoke/vaporize and the solder will melt and pull into the joint.

A pro did it for me...job done.

Joint was clean and fluxed when I tried, but I believe I used too much heat so the solder would just run down the pipe with none remaining up in the joint (or not enough). I believe there is a temperature range where the capillary action will work...and once over that, the solder just runs away. I tried increasing temperature on each successive attempt, but I believe I should have used less heat.

The family was wanting some water before the day was over so I had to hire a guide. I got a lesson. Hopefully next time I'll be smarter.

Thanks for everyone's input