Fly Fusion Forums

My Spot (carseland)

PlayDoh

I took some pics yesterday, some of them are pretty. This is the top of the river valley on the way in looking east.

n685425672_578408_8563.jpg

This is the view from where we camp.

n685425672_578406_8023.jpg

This is where the risers are, one of which I caught the same day.

n685425672_578402_6835.jpg

Here is the spot from the island across the river.

n685425672_578399_5973.jpg

My little friend

n685425672_578411_9715.jpg

This is another spot. Theres a deep seam near the bank on the right. Its about 30' till the end of the riffle.

n685425672_578397_5267.jpg

Theres another tree fallen in the river thanks to my busy buddies.

n685425672_578407_8312.jpg

Aside from my rod tip snapping in half, and only one fish it was nice. The boaters were around, really only one pair of guys who gave me space and I went on the shore a couple times to let them drift by.

Thanks guys. In the pic where I say thats where I caught a riser, its crazy at dusk. I had to just watch last night, but thats part of the experience as well. The tree you see sticking out of the water is a magnet for fish. I was going to shoot a video cause the guy I caught was just sitting right at the end of the 'sweeper' and making a splash every other second. I finally broke down since I gave up on that point, mainly by breaking off a large fallen tree that was right in the wrong place. Almost as bad as the net-like branch above the spot is, I hit it a few times but was lucky to get the fly to fall off. Which I was hoping for a bite for sure after the natural plop, yet he seemed to have enough to eat where he was.

I've only caught RB's by drifting nymphs and streamers so far, and the fish set the hook themselves. Well I totally had to set the hook on this guy, it was a new experience and a ton of fun. He got loose on a root but I was surprised to see him or one the same size in the same spot start feeding right away. I figured he would either be gone, or take forever to start feeding again. I just kept casting a prince nymph right in front of him and let it drift long enough to him to see in the film. Took a nice cast to get it there with a sweet plop. The guys I seen drift by were using dries, but it seemed like the one I caught was feeding only 'near' the surface, since you'd only get to see a fin or tail. Not a sipping or definite surface gobble.

Anyways I can now buy some more dries in a bit of confidence they'll get to see fish. Although I wonder if a dry would have caught him? I do know that spot is perfect for dries, and I cant wait to get some. The guy I seen using dries had like a 12' leader at least. I had to admire his casting as well. Perfect. Looked like a carpet slowly unrolling, and the perfect landing.

I also seen some '*hit-hawks' catch a fish. Amazingly their catch got away and was jumping and fighting yards away from the squawking herd, then swam right back to the birds and got gobbled up. After seeing those pictures of fish injuries I now understand the hazard birds are to trout or river fish.

• 2 weeks later...