Fly Fusion Forums

Steelhead Dreams

toolman

So ..... have you guys ever seen the new cast I came up with. This cast requires a lot of skill, determination, and steadfast persistance to master, but once you old time spey pro's get the hang of it, there's no turning back....

Gentlemen....

Meet the Snake Cast!!!....

SnakeCast.jpg

LOL....

I'm not sure what I was doing here, but it looks like Greg captured the moment! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Daggone spey newbies!!! :P

So Greg forgot to tell the rest of the Bear story. So yeah... first time I see Greg in river, Bear on shore, bear is past greg heading for me... my reaction ?

"Greg I'm going to the car!!!""" LOL I also was like WTF did I just say???

Then Bear / Greg were kind of at a standoff so I started yelling louder so it knew there were 2 of us. Seemed to work a bit as bear then backed off, went in woods and circled to it's food (the dead salmon)

So now after having our Bear senses hightened, I see two fellas come down the other side of the river across from me. With them is a HUGE black dog! So there fishing away and about an hour later Greg comes down the bank, steps beside me and bellows "BEEEEAAAARRRRR!!!!" across the river. I'm now like "wtf??"

The guys yell back.... That's our dog!!!! I busted my gut laughing. So then on the way back to hotel / coffee / change spots / fly shop in smithers, Greg yells out "BEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!" and I can tell he's joking and I look in time to see this....

BlackBakewellCat2.jpg

and it's stalking something through the grass and being sneaky. I think I have not laughed that hard since... well heck... I dunno. You probably had to be there, but the way the cat was sneaking through the grass was what made it classic.

It was an awesome trip, can't wait to go back..... I was 13 pulls, 6 hookups, 1 fish. at least 3 of my solid hookups where fish well over 10 pounds, one was ridiculous, probably 20+ pounds. Dreamin of chrome!! :lol:

Maybe next year I can teach Greg the slip and fall cast, which actually (embarrasingly enough) was my best cast of the whole trip. I slipped on a rock during the spey motions, and shot the line straight out in a thing of beauty. Too bad I was laying on my arse and couldnt enjoy that. I wish I would have got a fish on that cast... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like you two are hooked!! Next year my goal is to try using a dry fly waked in the surface. My fishing buddy had one roll a dry fly about 20ft from me and it's an incredible sight to see.

As far as black bears skulking around in bush, I had a similar experience with a Black Angus cow, I was trying to hold my rod,get the bear banger out, get the cap of the bear spray and throw rocks at the same time..

Regards Mike