Fly Fusion Forums

6 Weight Rod And 5 (Or So) Weigth Line

Mukka

Hi There,

My main rig is a fast action 5 weight rod however, I recently purchased a fast action 6 weight rod for use with larger dries and streamers when fishing, mainly, bull trout. I currently have a Nautilus 5/6 FWX reel with one spool holding Rio Gold 5 weight line (which is truly about a 5.5 weight line) and one spool with 5 weight sinking tip line, which is obviously fairly 'heavy' when casting. In an ideal situation I would like to have 2 more spools outfitted with true 6 weight line however, with what I've got will this work? Will I notice much of a difference in my casting or will it be minimal? I know that, typically, going with a heavier line to a lighter rod (e.g. 6 weight rig to a 5 weight rod) is more ideal but I just want to ensure that I'm not going to be dealing with tangled line nonstop!! Thanks!

the Gold is a true 5 weight, the grand is the 5.5 weight.

I broke my 5 weight last year, and then brought my wrong reel for fishing my 6, and it was god-awful (hopper fishing). Seriously, overloading is fine (to a point), underloading is plain awful (especially on fast-action rods).

Not sure why it would tangle more or less, get a 6 wt line for your 6.. If you're not going to ever have them both strung up, then yes extra spools will work..

Yes the 5 weight will work, but it will not be efficient at larger dries and streamers..mass moves mass, and a 5 weight line has the same amount of mass whether it's on a 5, 6 or 12 weight..

• Like 1