Fly Fusion Forums

I Know It's Too Early

plumeja

I'm no expert but this is what I wish some laid out for me when I started two seasons ago (for trout fishing):

Rod - 24" Medium (24" Med-Light, if you're only fishing for little guys). Long rods are annoying for a number of reasons IMO.

Reel - Sometimes they come with a rod but those can be quite terrible... My basic criteria is small, light with a decent drag system. My wife and I have the smallest pfleuger president's available for reference. 100 yds is more than enough capacity especially if you're using braid.

Line - 10lb braid (I use spider wire), with 8 or 10lb fluoro leader

Lures: 2" white/pink buzzbombs, 1"-3" white single tail mister twisters (with appropriate sized jig heads), little cleo spoons (blue/silver for instance) can work well, I've also had some luck on glow in the dark "buck shot" rattling lures. A SJW can work too.

-Where Permitted- Smelt or powerbait trout nibbles (chartreuse or orange) on a bare hook with some weight to get it down (side note: especially when using bait I make sure to crimp my hook, hungry trout sometimes take them deep).

Lakes: Upper/Lower Kananaskis, Spray Lakes Res. and Chain Lakes plus there are quite a few little lakes near Caroline/Sundre that aren't bad. Chestermere is close but only has smallish pike, if you're into that. Apparently Pine Coulee Res. is good walleye/pike fishing, I've never been.

Auger: 8" Hand Auger will be fine for the first two months (approx.), as the season wears on the hole making process becomes "fun" (ice can get very thick...)

EXTRAS: (really) warm boots that are waterproof, Gloves (I have had better experience with lighter breathable windproof gloves than heavy mitts), hot coffee, cold refreshments, warm lunch.

• Like 1

Those that know me will understand as I always have to rig something up,I drill a small hole in the ice 9' away from the hole.I have a pole maybe 4' long attached is a lag bolt that screws into the ice on the other end is a rod holder that the cork slides into.Tye on a nymph rig and presto ice fishing with a flyrod!

• Like 1