Fly Fusion Forums

Stephen Colbert Nfr

So did anyone here hear that Stephen Colbert of the Colbert report is running for president? I guess he is only running in North Carolina? I dunno how that works as I am not overly familiar with the system but does this mean he is running with no hope of winning the prez? Or is it possible? Is it all a complete joke, or just pretty much a joke? In any rate I find him pretty funny but I just don't know what the logistics behind this is..... Figured I'd bring it up as maybe some of you watch his show.

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-colbert-report/sho...86e08e94b7e__ER

well I could definately say that talking about doing it being a gag but to actually do it. He must have some hopes of it actually working..... Maybe Rickr will explain the presidential process to me or someone else familiar with the system..... I do know that it basically comes down to 2 guys in the big vote but what is the process to weed out the others? And can a candidate actually make it through with only running in one state?

So here is the process:

Each party has several candidates who compete in a swimsuit contest..

Ok, so they compete in a series of "primaries" or "caucuses" in several states to determine how these states will vote in each parties "Convention". Kinda like a series of popularity contests. However, once the first vote of the convention goes down, each state can change their vote to whatever candidate they wish. (Big states have lots of delegates, small states not so many). So each party ends up with one candidate who then face each other (and possibly a meaningless 3rd party candidate) in a general election. Most votes wins right? Well, not really. The election is really 50 separate elections in each state. Each state has a number of "Electoral College" votes. These votes determine the next president. So it is possible to loose the popular vote and still be president. It happened to Bush (and some would say it's happened twice to Bush), but that is a whole other topic.

So there is election civics in a nutshell. If I explain more, it just gets more confusing.

Colbert is running a joke candidacy. He is actually trying to register as a candidate in both parties for the North Carolina primary I think. Very funny stuff.

LOL ok I understand pretty much I think. So even if everything that could go his way did go his way he would still not realistically be able to win..... Thats a shame LOL it may not be the right thing for the country but man would it ever be funny to see him running the show....

Guest bigbadbrent

cept man of the year sucked...terrible movie

I dont think its true about having to give up the show, otherwise no law and order reruns could go on either

Each state has a number of "Electoral College" votes. These votes determine the next president. So it is possible to loose the popular vote and still be president. It happened to Bush (and some would say it's happened twice to Bush), but that is a whole other topic.

So there is election civics in a nutshell. If I explain more, it just gets more confusing.

Colbert is running a joke candidacy. He is actually trying to register as a candidate in both parties for the North Carolina primary I think. Very funny stuff.

The electoral college usually votes for the candidate winning the popular vote in each state, but there is no requirement for them to do so. The basics of it is the founders of democracy didn't believe that the great unwashed were smart enough to make a responsible decision. So there it is, the great defenders of democracy in the world are paranoid about the process.

Then again Mickey Mouse would usually win a plurality with a write in ballot.

The electoral college usually votes for the candidate winning the popular vote in each state, but there is no requirement for them to do so. The basics of it is the founders of democracy didn't believe that the great unwashed were smart enough to make a responsible decision. So there it is, the great defenders of democracy in the world are paranoid about the process.

Then again Mickey Mouse would usually win a plurality with a write in ballot.

They are not required to do so, but I don't think that any state has ever gone against the popular vote for electoral college votes.

You seem a bit cynical there Gary. ;)