Fly Fusion Forums

Favorite Scud Patterns

kungfool

Hey guys. I am looking for some really good scud patterns and would love to see some of the members favorite scuds. Here's one of mine.

Thread: olive

Body: olive Ice Dub

Shell: transparent thinskin

rib: medium gold

tail/antenna: olive hares mask

scud_ice_1.jpg

http://tinypic.com/mvpy5z.jpg

We like the half dead scud on the upper left in the photo. I disremember which fishing mag it was in a couple of years ago. It takes a couple of colors of sow/scud dubbing, some red wire for rib and optional lead-free weighting wire underneath. It's more effective than any of these other scuds I dug out of the box.

http://tinypic.com/mvpy5z.jpg

We like the half dead scud on the upper left in the photo. I disremember which fishing mag it was in a couple of years ago. It takes a couple of colors of sow/scud dubbing, some red wire for rib and optional lead-free weighting wire underneath. It's more effective than any of these other scuds I dug out of the box.

Thank you very much for the reply. I especially like the use of red wire and thread on some of those patterns. I am goona pick some up and make some for myself.

We got lazy about tying scud back onto our patterns and were just doing without, so it was good to see the magazine and have another reason to skip it- cuz an expert showed that we could!

As for the red, I don't see it on any of the naturals, but it sure seems to attract fish.

An observation about scuds/shrimp patterns.....people I have talked to that fish these types of patterns all seem to agree on one thing; the hook eye not being turned down/ or in depending on how you look at it....they claim the straight eye is best for the swimming motion. Makes sense if you think about it.

my scuds look typical but the oliver edwards deep diving shrimp looks freaking insane. you could catch any fish on the planet with that thing.

here's an example but it doesn't do the real tie justice:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/oeddshrimp/

i looked for oliver's tie online but couldn't find it.

This is exactly why I started this thread! I absolutely love this pattern. Oliver E is one of my favorite tiers. I cant believe I didn't google his name with "scud" or "shrimp" in the parameter.

Thanks for this reply!

Tied up a half dozen of those Oliver Edward shrimp and suspended them under a strike indicator today about 1 foot from bottom. let the wind and waves do the work and caught plenty of nice rainbows, including the one below in rapid succession.

kevs_shrimpin_rainbow.jpg

Man I lub Oliver E! :wub: