Fly Fusion Forums

North . . . (A Continuation Of An Upstairs Discussion)

peetso

It's an overlooked piece of this province.

It has none of the big trout located in the south, only average sized grayling swim here. The bugs are often unbearable and the holding water is often some distance between each other. There is no easy access. It's dusty pot-hole ridden lease roads, train tracks, cutlines and deer trails. It lacks the stunning mountain vistas of the Rockies and the cold, clear waters that run from them. And to be honest, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of those who live near there.

Up here on these waters the charms are more subtle, often hidden from plain view.

But they are here.

image5.jpg?w=600

image4.jpg?w=337

image.jpg?w=600

image18-e1373160797369.jpg?w=613

image16.jpg?w=337

image1.jpg?w=436

image2.jpg?w=600

image6.jpg?w=337

image10.jpg?w=622

image9.jpg?w=599

image13.jpg?w=337

image15.jpg?w=600

image14.jpg?w=600

And you'll most likely have it all to yourself.

The forest, the river, and astonishingly beautiful fish who love to eat dries.

• Like 6

Wonderful post than you. Must get out to som quiet places.

there's places i've been fishing for 6 or 7 years on which i've never even seen a boot track, let alone another angler.

I really love fishing for Arctic grayling. Am a little nervous about the visitor you may have shared the bank with, though.

That particular sow ended up putting the run on me , not 10 minutes after I took that pic.

(my fault for having the dog out there with me, got cocky and just about paid for it)

Made for a long walk back to the truck, went from an hour walk upstream to a 3 hour walk, through brush and cutlines with the sun setting fast. We spooked up another bear on this little sojourn but it *$ed off in a hurry. Luckily I made it out to a lease road and was able to thumb a ride with a group of Natives who were out rabbit hunting, after two oilfield trucks blew past me.

So to recap:

Caught Grayling. Chased by Bear. Stumbled around in the bush. Chased bear. Ate alive by mosquitos. Swore at oilfield trucks. Rode in back of truck with dead rabbits. Kissed truck. Drank beer. Slept well.

all in all, was an exciting day.

• Like 2

Caught my first Alberta Grayling last week. They are a beautiful fish; the photos can't catch the iridescence..

Mike

Me too!!

......first grayling that is......

3 firsts for me last week actually,first fish on new 3wt,which happened to be my first ever grayling,then in same hour first Athabascan rainbow......'twas a good evening! :)

• 2 weeks later...