Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Novice Needs Help

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the Calgary area (up from Houston for a month) and I'm looking to go fly fishing over the long weekend. I've been fly fishing once (1) but I loved it. I fish often down south but there really isn't much opportunity to fly fish. I'm looking for someone to team up with to show me the ropes or at least point me in the general direction of where to go/what flies/gear to take with me. Let me know if you have any pointers!

Cat

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the Calgary area (up from Houston for a month) and I'm looking to go fly fishing over the long weekend. I've been fly fishing once (1) but I loved it. I fish often down south but there really isn't much opportunity to fly fish. I'm looking for someone to team up with to show me the ropes or at least point me in the general direction of where to go/what flies/gear to take with me. Let me know if you have any pointers! Cat

welcome to calgary. I wouldn't have your heart set on any rivers or anything close. look at fishing lakes east or north of calgary. if you have any other more specific questions shoot me a pm

Like DRock says, fishing is going to be tough for the next while. Flowing water in the south part of the province will be next to impossible to fish in my opinion. if you choose some of the lakes you'll do better with some kind of a boat. A pontoon boat would work well. most of the lakes I fish, I use a floating line and wooly buggers under an indicator or weighted wooly buggers with no indicator. You could try a second fly about 24 inches back tied to the hook bend of the first fly. My choice for the second fly would include backswimmers, prince nymphs, caddis pupae, smaller leach type of flies. If chironomid fishing appeals to you it can be very productive at times. try hanging a anti-static bag chironomid about 12 inches from the bottom.

I spent the day working in the Caroline, Rocky Mtn. House areas and most of the streams are the colour of chocolate milk and higher than normal but certainly fishable. I would bring big rubber boots.

Murray

Too bad you may miss out on the Bow. To come all the from Texas and just look is a bugger,(no pun intended). Any way, welcome to Cowtown. Hope you get to a lake that produces for you. If you come back sometime to work, hopefully you will get some nice Bow time in.