Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Help

drlevi

I know this may have been covered but cant seem to find it. I was looking for some insight on how to properly rig for streamers? Ie. Length of leader, 3x or etc. My asking is the fact that casting anthing else idont have any issues but casting streamers i tend to get tailing loops and just seems not getting any distance maybe 18 to 20 feet but not clean presentation kinda scattered. Anyways any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds more like a simple casting issue than a gear issue. Make sure you are smoothly applying power during your stroke instead of "blocking" it or trying "too hard"..... anotherwords, try to almost gently catch your backcast and spring it forward... starting a bit slowly and speeding up your stroke to apply a lot of power as you come through it. Make sure you also apply enough force on the backcast... sort of like the "what comes up must go down" principle, but instead what goes backwards must come forwards. If it doesn't go backwards fast enough it's hard to get it to come forward accurately and powerfully.

I use straight 8lb line when streamer fishing a lot of the time. If you are fishing a sink tip, use about 2 to 3ft of 1 or 2x in this water condition the Bow has now.

Good luck!

I just use a few feet of 12 or 15lb Maxima.

I've found adding a little oval arc on the back cast helps (instead of straight back). Helps swing the weight of the streamer out to the side a bit. Helpful if casting big, heavy flies.

Thank you guys, that actually makes sense i have noticed a pop on the back cast but i have been using 9 foot leaders bu. After a trip past the fishing hole and what you guys have said i am going to start using up all the maxima green i have and some vanish fluoro sitting around. And then i guess have to alter the pause on my back cast. When i do get it out on a good cast i have been rewarded but thats maybe 1 of 10 casts. Anyways thanks alot for your help!!

Take some lessons.

Use a sinktip with 2-3' of leader.

Tailing loops are caused by

1) applying too much power to soon on the forward cast. Try apply most of the power after 12:00.

2) rod tip on the forward cast doesn't follow a straight line path. The rod tip goes from high at the beginning of the stroke to lower in the middle back to high at the end

3) the forward cast isn't 180* to the back cast

Once again take some lessons. I cant understand the amount of money people spend on gear and don't take any sort of casting lessons. You will learn a lot no matter what level your casting is.

PK

• Like 1

I just use a few feet of 12 or 15lb Maxima.

I've found adding a little oval arc on the back cast helps (instead of straight back). Helps swing the weight of the streamer out to the side a bit. Helpful if casting big, heavy flies.

Hmmmm?

Just ignore my response. Bad advice

I guess that is not a good description, and not correct form. Rod tip not following a perfectly straight line only on back cast.

I tend to use this cast when using a floating line (not a sink tip) and a long leader. Very effective for me when using a 9-10ft leader and a big, heavy fly.

Monger you are correct i should state my gear and actually no advice is bad as everyone has their own style fundementals may be the same. And to answer i have taken some lessons but find they push their style or way to much as when i took my last one suddenly i started hitting my rod tip alot but then went back to how i intially started and that stopped but the one thing after last night is one big problem i have is double haul when i use it i fling that streamer awesome but when i dont thats when i run into issues so having said that i have started practising more on the double haul and belgian cast. Anyways you guya have been awesome and have got me doing more so thumbs up for all the help and hopefully sometime meet on the river.

• Like 1