Fly Fusion Forums

Laptop Help

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Trying to write a paper, and my computer runs completely out of batteries. so i plug it in thinking that will fix it, but nooo, it wont turn on now, though there is an orange light on the battery part, so i assume its chargin..

does anyone know how long it takes, or did i fubar my computer?

accchk!

The wife has one of those too and it's been a PITA ever since she got it , thankfully her employer paid for it and thier IT tries to fix it. If I'm not mistaken the battery is not easy to remove. If the battery is charging it should take a few hours but it should be useable while your charging it. That why I like Macs.

Guest bigbadbrent

apparently it didnt like trying to boot with a dead battery, even with being plugged in, pulled the batt out, and it booted fine..stupid computers

Trying to write a paper, and my computer runs completely out of batteries. so i plug it in thinking that will fix it, but nooo, it wont turn on now, though there is an orange light on the battery part, so i assume its chargin..

does anyone know how long it takes, or did i fubar my computer?

accchk!

I have a Toshiba and it has all sorts of similar issues with not wanting to power up. A quick look on the internet revealed that it is common with others too. In 2005 Toshiba settled a lawsuit due to faulty design. I can't help but wonder if this isn't another case of negligence on their part. Maybe another lawsuit is needed. Next time I'll do better research before I buy a computer.

Same deal here...Toshiba A70 or A75 models both have this problem. It's a bad solder joint on the DC connector or a bad DC connector itself. When my laptop was under warranty, Toshiba replaced the entire motherboard instead of simply repairing the jack properly. It was replaced 3 times under warranty but it died again two weeks ago. Idiots.

Here are some decent instructions on how to fix it yourself assuming your warranty has expired:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006...r-jack-problem/

If you do decide to repair it yourself then you can make sure the solder joint is nice and solid to prevent the problem from reoccurring. I also used some epoxy on the jack to make sure it doesn't move and crack the solder joint again.

I used to buy exclusively Toshiba...never again!

Cheers,

PMD

Check if the orange light means the battery is expired - there's a set number of cycles for my Dell battery, and after that the battery will not charge back up and will have to be replaced.

The orange light on Toshiba laptops indicates that the battery is charging. When it turns green the battery is fully charged.

When this problem occurs, however, the orange light will always be on (if the laptop is powered off) but will never turn green because the battery is unable to charge.