Fly Fusion Forums

Newborn Baby = Cramp In Fishing

hey guys thank you all for the input, it is really helpful. we are now about 6 months away till the new arrival and am really excited. Im sure that when the baby comes it will be a huge adjustment but overall it will be awesome to have a little me running around :angel:smail:.

on a side note, preparing for this newborn is pretty expensive with all the baby furniture and such. kinda shocked me when i told my wife that i will sell one of my most prized possessions, one of my winston b3x. luckily its my parents first grandchild and they offered to pay for everythign we need! let the spoiling begin!

I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old, honestly my fishing has not taken much of a hit. That being said, the majority of rivers that I fish are between 5 and 30 km from home so it gets pretty easy for me to hit up some water before work, after work, during naps. My 2 year old has actually spent alot of time on rivers with me in a carrier style backpack. His first trip was out to a remote section of the Little Smoky for grayling before he turned 1. The biggest thing is changing out tactics (I can no longer head out all day every day off work) and as someone mentioned earlier compromise. Give your wife some time off and you should in return get some time to yourself. I am lucky in that my wife knows that the season up here is incredibly short and so she has given me free rein for a two week period following runoff each summer.

Seriously look into a good carrier back pack for when the little one hits 1 year plus. I love taking my 2 yea rold out. He gets excited and cheers and claps everytime I get a fish, plus he talks, sings, and just makes enough noise in general to keep the bears away.

Try to enjoy the time with the newborn as they grow so damn fast in those first few months.

I appreciate all the comments and advice as well. We have a 4yr, 2yr, and 9 month twins. It's been the craziest year of our lives and not that I got out a ton before but I manage an hour here and there after kids are in bed and a day trip to the mountain streams once in the summer. I took my 4 yr old to the community ponds while we lived in Texas last yr and he loved it even if it was only a half hr or so. He always wants to go fishing now. My wife was great and we even went down to the bow one day and took turns carrying our first child when he was a baby and she caught her first fish on the bow even though she wasn't a huge fan of fishing she still tried to spend time together, so be sure to do the same for her. It's hard to understand until you have one of your own but they are the most amazing thing in the world, even though it can be hard at times. Remember, your wife is amazing and try doing what she does for a whole day and then imagine doing it day in and day out, you realize they have a special gift so be sure to work at it together. Enjoy.

Best wishes for your new arrival. The fishing will always be there. If you live to be 80 and your children are with you for 20 years, that's only 1/4 of your life.

The days may seem to last forever, but the years will flash by.

Bar none, sharing a child with my wife is the coolest thing I've ever done.

Daughter or Son - it will be like watching your heart walk around outside your body.