Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A Spot To Fish

Hi Guys

I here from ontario working for a couple weeks and was looking for somewhere to fish on the bow.

I'm staying in the bearspaw area.not looking for your prized spot just somewhere I can get access that isn't private and that I can walk and wade.

Thanks

Paul

Make sure to check the regs when you get your license as some sections are still closed. Run off is about to start (water is starting morph), so get out there while the getting is still good! The Bow is 95% public access (within the city limits)... Have fun!

Policeman's Landing downstream is good wading, probably four good spots in the first mile, including a very long (and obvious) inside bend with a wide entry riffle and long run that holds fish all over. Take the Deerfoot south to Dunbow Road, head east for about 1.5 km, turn left onto Bow River Bottom Trail (NOT to be confused with Bow Bottom Trail, which is inside the city and branches off the Deerfoot), and when this small road flattens out in the river valley, turn right into the obvious parking area beside the river.

Also, heading south on the Deerfoot just before you get to Dunbow Road, many people park semi-legally in the Deerfoot freeway median. There's lots of nice fishing upstream on either riverbank. It's quite busy, though.

Within the city, your fishing experience is limited only by your ability to read the Google map and find little roads or bike paths that go near or skirt the river. Upstream of the Harvie Passage whitewater park is closed to fishing right now. Downstream, there are many nice spots.

Fish Creek Park has some nice fishing, but gets busy most evenings and weekends when the weather is nice, with anglers virtually lining the banks.

Good luck!

Just adding in another comment/request.

I am rolling into Calgary this Friday and will be there for 3 or 4 days. Are things going to be so blown out that I should not waste my time bringing my gear?

Stew

Sometimes that blowout can be the best fishing of the year. Look for slack inside bends with slow water. You normally don't even have to fish deep, a couple stones 3 and 4ft under an indicator fished close to shore in the slowest part of the river will do just fine if she's blowing mud. (as long as there is about a half foot of vis this normally fishes very well)

I have caught some of my biggest fish todate in a blow out bow, just gotta be careful while walking the shore line (The water carves under the bank and it can colapase without any warning.

And of course unl;ess you are a complete fool, do not gwet into the river during run off, its not what is on the surface you should be watching out it is what is underneith.