Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Building

i was just thinking that it could be a good little project to take on in the not to close future, i just like having those type of things to do after work and such. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Like the cost of making one and time frame from start to finish. i know that this is a hard question to answer cause each to there own. but there must be a kinda rough idea. and i was in fish tales asking about the course they have and the lad told me it is about 200 dollars for everything you need.

its hard to even find videos on youtube about it.

this is more curiousness then anything else but who know i might want to try it one day.

I would highly recommend taking the rod building course through fish tales. I took it a few years back and have built quite a few rods for myself and others since then. Total build time will be ~12-16 hours depending on how complex you want to get (i.e. spinning your own handles, assembly of reel seats, creative thread wraps etc.). I've built rods for as cheap as $100 all in. But you're probably going to be in the $200 range as long as you don't go too crazy with your first one.

Once you get the hang of it you will find that it's quite easy to build your own rod, and a great way to spend the cold winter evenings.

The forum that Don mentioned is a good one, and there are a couple of great books as well.

This is one of the best IMO:

http://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Rod-Building-Made-Easy/dp/0881505110

Happy building!